Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Huge MLB news (yankee related)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This hardly qualifies as huge news

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, he could have put in the NYY thread but this guy instantly becomes thier best starter (IMO). and yes i am including the trifecta of wang/mussina/pettite.

[/ QUOTE ]

good lord he's not their best pitcher right now. i buy into him being neck and neck w/ bailey for best prospect left in the minors, but saying he's better than pettitte/wang/mussina is pretty crazy. those guys have an established level of major league success, hughes has 1 season above a ball.

yes, he probably has the best chance of anyone in the minors to be a top of the rotation starter, but he's 20 years old and doesn't work deep in games

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, im saving this post to re-discuss at end of season. tty then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees cant afford another 5 inning pitcher and there is no way they are letting their top pitching prospect throw 170 innings this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. why not let him pitch 170 innings? and a good 5 inning guy is better than a bad 4 inning guy. hughes should have started the season with the big club.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol. why not let him pitch 170 innings? and a good 5 inning guy is better than a bad 4 inning guy. hughes should have started the season with the big club.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, he's only 20, and is coming off a season in which he basicaly doubled his previous high for IP, and has a questionable injury history.

this guy is the savior, they're not going to put him in harm's way. i doubt he sticks with the club once wang/moose/pavano are back
Old 04-24-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, he's only 20, and is coming off a season in which he basicaly doubled his previous high for IP, and has a questionable injury history.

this guy is the savior, they're not going to put him in harm's way. i doubt he sticks with the club once wang/moose/pavano are back

[/ QUOTE ]

from wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
In 2006, in the minor leagues Hughes held opposing batters to a .179 batting average in 146.3 innings, while averaging 2 walks and 10 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched. [3] On June 13, 2006, Hughes took a no-hitter into the 6th inning, and threw a 1-hitter through 7 innings. On June 23, 2006, Hughes put forth another dominant start, taking a no-hitter into the 8th inning, and pitching 8 shutout innings. !He became stronger! as the year progressed; in August he gave up only 10 hits in 30 innings, while striking out 40. Hughes made one appearance in the Eastern League playoffs, earning a no-decision while pitching 6 innings of 1-run ball with 13 strikeouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he can get MLB hitters out at a better clip than what the yankees will throw out in the 4 and 5 slots (which shouldn't be hard at all to do) then putting him back down in the minors is retarded.

also, he will be 21 in june, one of his top comps bert bylevelyn threw almost 300 (and had almost 600 MLB innings under his belt) innings at the age of 21, same with milt pappas....different eras, but medicine/science etc is better now. in this era guys like kazmir/zambrano/peavy were much better than leauge average pitchers at simaler ages to hughes.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 AM

I've seen prospects come and go.
Some of them end up being great. Others flame out.

Two of the best prospects in the Florida State League when I was there were Tim Redding and Casey Fossum.
I saw Fossum strikeout 14 batters in a game and then 2 weeks later he threw a no-no. He was awesome.
Both had a good chance to be really good in the major-leagues.

One of the best FSL pitchers I ever saw was Eric Milton and pretty much everyone thought he was going to be a stud (he ended up being decent of course, but not exactly hall-of-fame caliber).

Ricardo Rodriguez was considered a pretty big prospect also.

There's a constantly rotating array of 'top 10 in the minors' prospects. A lot of them do really well but not every one of them end up as the ace of a staff.

'pitcher of the year' in the FSL or some other minor-leagie is NOT a guarantee of big-league success.

This isn't to say that Hughes might not be outstanding in the bigs. We'll see.

But if he was getting called up by DET or CIN or some other team then nobody would care.
He's a Yankee. They're a desperate for help. They call up this guy because they need innings. NY media and fans evidently want to think this guy is going to be their savior.
I can guarantee Joe Torre doesn't think that. And Torre is probably a little bit smarter on all things baseball than most of the fans who are assuming Hughes will be their savior.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen prospects come and go.
Some of them end up being great. Others flame out.

Two of the best prospects in the Florida State League when I was there were Tim Redding and Casey Fossum.
Both had a good chance to be awesome.

Ricardo Rodriguez was considered a pretty big prospect also.

There's a constantly rotating array of 'top 10 in the minors' prospects. A lot of them do really well.

But 'pitcher of the year' in the FSL is certainly NOT a guarantee of big-league success.

This isn't to say that Hughes might not be outstanding in the bigs. We'll see.

But if he was getting called up by DET or CIN or some other team then nobody would care.
He's a Yankee. They're a desperate for help. They call up this guy because they need innings. NY media and fans evidently want to think this guy is going to be their savior.
I can guarantee Joe Torre doesn't think that. And Torre is probably a little bit smarter on all things baseball than most of the fans who are assuming Hughes will be their savior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yankees fans just hope he can last more than 4 or 5 innings and not give up more than 4 runs in doing so...if he can do that then the yankees will win most of the time
Old 04-24-2007, 01:34 AM

Calling up someone who they hope can last 4 or 5 innings is NOT huge MLB news.

Not all Yankee fans are hoping that it appears. Some really do seem to think he's close to being the ace right now.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 AM

Are you that slow?

I am rooting for him to fail, because I am not a Yankees fan.

If <insert player here> is on a team you don't like of course you want him to do horrible. I said I hope he goes by way of Taylor in becoming a gigantic bust.

What is so difficult to understand here?
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you that slow?

I am rooting for him to fail, because I am not a Yankees fan.

If <insert player here> is on a team you don't like of course you want him to do horrible. I said I hope he goes by way of Taylor in becoming a gigantic bust.

What is so difficult to understand here?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference...when you say I hope he ends up like Brien Taylor than some other guy that was hyped and failed to deliver...Taylor was the real deal and blew his arm out when he missed a punch in a fight with his brothers friend. Thats different than I hope he ends up like Cade McKnown/Ryan Leaf etc.

Its obvious to even a complete moron that when you use Taylor it seems like your saying I hope Hughes blows his arm out.

Taylor's injury was a freak occurance and one that probably never will happen anytime soon... I doubt he had anything else to hang onto besides baseball. So once his career was basically destroyed so was the life he had planned.
The dude is working construction now making around $1000-$1500 a month.

Sure we get your point but it is a [censored] way of putting it forward.

I hate the Red Sox yet I don't hope that Jon Lester blows out his arm or gets cancer again just so my team has a better shot or the Sox will suck...hell I don't even want Papelbon to get hurt...I want to see him healthy and with his best stuff...but just want to see him get rocked by the Yankees in the bottom of the ninth.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:44 AM

The Yankees need a strikeout pitcher sooooo [censored] badly. Their defense is god awful, Hughes is the real deal and the savior, just watch. As long as you understand he is only 20 years old and that the Yankees have awful defense and it's the AL East, you shouldn't be disappointed with his numbers this year.

Sublime is right, he is their best pitcher.