Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Default My pizza restaurant and some jackass delivery driver- advice please

Today I had a new guy come in to fill for my delivery driver. I taught him the ropes and sent him off on his first delivery. He took a long time coming back and I called him several times. Eventually he found his way back, and I sent him on another delivery. He never came back. Stopped answering my calls. He left with the customers order, and the $63 of my money on him.

I called him several times and left voicemails. Just now, about 2 hours later, I called him cussing him out using the f word alot and then called him again leaving a voicemail saying if you don't call back within the next 5 minutes, I am calling the cops. He didn't call back.

So, he has $63, and a $40 order.
All I have is his first name and cell phone number. What could I realistically do? Will the cops care at all? Does he have any reason at all to be scared?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Re: My pizza restaurant and some jackass delivery driver- advice please

Put a lathe in his living room.

Seriously, though, the cops should care unless they're ginormous douchebags. If they don't, grease their palms a little. In fact, even if they promptly find him and bust his ass, you should probably give them a few pies on the house, anyway, just to make sure you're buddies in case worse things happen than losing $100 in food and cash.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Re: My pizza restaurant and some jackass delivery driver- advice pleas

[ QUOTE ]
Just now, about 2 hours later, I called him cussing him out using the f word alot

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm glad you kept your composure.

Did you find out if the customer got his delivery? Or at least explain to him that sorry, our delivery driver is MIA and sorry about the inconvenience?

Seeing as you only have his first name, you obviously didn't have him sign anything so you only have a verbal contract that's likely very weak. I wouldn't bother with the cops, it's really not worth the stress over 103 dollars ffs.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All I have is his first name and cell phone number.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem smart.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 AM

Judge Judy?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:16 AM

I imagine you'll get in more trouble for hiring a guy you know nothing about (such as SSN for his tax withholding) than he will for taking ~$100.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 AM

As much advice possible for the guy on the other side of this please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As much advice possible for the guy on the other side of this please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice involves ip matching.

J
Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 AM

do you know his license plate number?
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, what? Are you saying you're the driver? Cause that makes a lot more sense.

If not, here's some advice:

Write off the $100 loss, and learn for the future. You can't just hire someone to come in and fill in, and not fill out paperwork for taxes. I'm sure you're a small time proprietorship, but have you checked in with what the IRS requires for withholding?

And the biggest problem arises if "the driver" should happen to hit somebody while on a delivery. Let's say worst case scenario, he hits a kid, kills him. The media gets a hold of it, and finds out said driver has 3 prior convictions for DUI. Now you're liable for a HUGE lawsuit because you didn't do any kind of a background/MVR check on the driver.

Honestly, you're probably better off keeping all this to yourself, eating the loss, learning and moving on, than letting anyone else know you have this bad of business practices.

Also, why did the driver have so much of your money? Drivers shouldn't carry that much money on them. They should keep tips stashed in spots through their car, and should pay you for delivery orders when returning, or have assigned lock boxes for the shift. Otherwise, they're looking to lose a lot with robberies, and maybe even setting themselves up for robberies if others know they have that much money.
Closed Thread