Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Making a deal with the lady friend. Huge brag, help needed.

Ok, here's what it is people. I mentioned to the lady friend that I think I should quit drinking soda. She responded by saying that if I go a year without drinking any kind of soda, she will do 'x' for me, where 'x' is pretty much 'name your price.' Her initial idea was to buy me a really nice, vintage P-bass from a local shop.

Some background:
[*] I will definitely be able to do this. I had planned to do it anyway and this is just icing on the cake. I am 6'1" and about 215 right now, with a lot of muscle but also a gut. I would love to drop ten or fifteen pounds and this is a no-brainer way to get it done.
[*] I am not asking for anything sexual in nature. Just forget it. Not to brag, but I don't have to jump through hoops to get what I want in this department, and I think it would be kind of gross anyway.
[*] I think it would be better to think of something cool that we could do together or that I could use for a good purpose than just to have her buy me something I want.

So, what are your suggestions, OOT? Her first offer was to buy me a $2,500 bass, which is a pretty substantial outlay for a public school teacher. Her next idea was to buy me into a WSOP tournament next summer. I was trying to think of something that we could do together, like a vacation destination or something like that.

My interests are music, poker, travel, good food, etc. We have previously been on a tour of national parks on the West Coast, vacationed in the Yucatan, hung out in the Blue Ridge Mountains, gone hiking and swimming, that sort of stuff.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Making a deal with the lady friend. Huge brag, help needed.

Are you in a relationship, is she?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:52 PM

i wouldn't be comfortable w/ accepting a $2.5k gift for not drinking soda. Also, it sounds like she has a crush on you which you might want to consider.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

$2500? Damn, that's like $125 a pound!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:56 PM

I wouldn't be comfortable with it, either, but if you were to accept a bass, vintage J FTW. ;-)

An Alaskan cruise ship together could be really cool, though.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM

The conditions of your second bullet immediately erased the first two or three things that popped in my head...

But seriously... it sounds like you have a good friendship... and not saying you wouldn't be honest, but it's not like she'd be leering over your shoulder for a year so she's put a lot of faith in your honesty... which would make me side with a reward that both of you could enjoy or benefit from.

Since I'm a poker addict, I'd think something like, buying you into a WSOP tournament and splitting any winnings would be pretty cool.

-G
Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM

guys, when i say lady friend, i mean my long term girlfriend, we have been dating for almost five years and will get married in the next couple years.

kkf, as you pointed out, i think accepting a big-money gift is a little weird in this circumstance, which is why i was trying to come up with something we could enjoy together. we have a great relationship and she just really wants me to be more healthy, but is not the type of girl to nag me about it. so she kinda jumped at this when i mentioned wanting to do it. it would be weird to get something really expensive for something i was going to do anyway.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Since you're doing this to lose some lbs and be healthy how about she treating you to a sharp new suit.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're doing this to lose some lbs and be healthy how about she treating you to a sharp new suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this.

or have her promise that every sunday during NFL season she makes some food, and sex's during halftime.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM

i say sick vacation. you can take a nice trip to costa rica for $2500 (and you can chip in if you want to go super nice or whatever). plus you can show off your hot new body there!

also siihp.