Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Phil Ivey Gossip

Heard the following the other day from a friend of Ram Vaswani, who plays golf regularly with Phil Ivey in Vegas:

Marc Goodwin, a very self-regarding semi-successful tournament player (and ex double-glazing salesman) plays off scratch (zero handicap) and has been very boastful of his friendship with Ivey and how he has made lumps of money playing golf with him over the last year or so.

He, Ram Vaswani and Eric Sagstrom (Eric123) arranged to play a round with Ivey in Australia. Vaswani plays off around 5 I believe and Sagstrom is a decent player. Whilst arranging the strokes Ivey was to be given and the bets to be wagered Ivey was asked how much he had been playing in the few months since they had last been able to play together. He claimed he hadn't been able to play much at all due to all the poker he was playing and was accordingly given a generous advantage and off they went.

After 7 holes Goodwin was down $450,000 and suddenly erupted in fury at Ivey, claiming he had cheated them and stormed off the course. Sagstrom was similiary infuriated but carried on for another 2 holes before getting to the same amount down and he too left the course with a lot of animosity. Vaswani(one of the more fearless gamblers in the world and an honourable chap) finished off the 18 holes and ended up owing $900,000. Apparently he hasn't got that kind of money and so negotiated some sort of settlement with Ivey with the intention of paying.

The other two have no intention of playing and there is now bad blood between them.

Phil had omitted to tell them that he had spent the last few months practising around 3 hours a day and getting the best coaching.

Is this one of the great hustles? Goodness knows what the total could have been if all three had continued to play all 18 holes (all tilted up)

Should they pay up?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey Gossip

This is a lie. A few months of practice even with top coaches is just not enough time to get you to that level, maybe in poker but not in golf.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 AM

LOL @ them taking someones word for it when they are playing for that kind of money!

Also, how do you know Phil had been practicing so much?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a lie. A few months of practice even with top coaches is just not enough time to get you to that level, maybe in poker but not in golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

He never said Phil was shooting 70's or anything lol... They gave him way to much handicap and he pwnd them for it.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 AM

I'm skeptical that ivey would be foolish/greedy enough to dominate that much at the begining if he was going to try to pull this off.

It seems like the clear play would be to try to stay around even and then kill em on the last few holes.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 AM

Simple fact is that Ivey had the best round of his life.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm skeptical that ivey would be foolish/greedy enough to dominate that much at the begining if he was going to try to pull this off.

It seems like the clear play would be to try to stay around even and then kill em on the last few holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think golf works quite like that. You would need a high level of mastery of the game to do that.

[ QUOTE ]
This is a lie

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, bona fide gilt-edged gossip
Old 01-28-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think golf works quite like that. You would need a high level of mastery of the game to do that.

[ QUOTE ]
This is a lie

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, bona fide gilt-edged gossip

[/ QUOTE ]

How hard do you think it is to purposely miss a few ez puts at the beginning?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:45 AM

i have flirted with a career as a professional golfer. practicing 3 hours a day is not anything close to playing for that amount of time per day. however, this is a standard hustle, i guess ivey thought who gives a [censored], i wont beat them by that much because i suck, turns out hes a lier, BTW PHIL IVEY, ILL GOLF YOU FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU CAN IMAGINE, SPECIFICALLY, ALL THE MONEY I OWN, THIS IS AN OPEN CHALLENGE, I WOULD BEAT U IN ANY GAME OF GOLF PERIOD. PWNED.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:49 AM

BTW, IF ANYONE DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT GOLF, ALL THAT UR HANDICAP SAYS IN TERMS OF BETTING IS THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO CHEAT, PHIL ILL PLAY U FOR WHATEVER U OWN AND WHATEVER I OWN, U NAME THE HANDICAP JUST MAKE IT FAIR AND ILL PLAY U BOUL. I KNOW U FROM AC AN KNOW PPL LIKE THE NOVAKS, I KNOW NANCY ALSO AND KNOW U GREW UP WITH HER, ILL BANKROLL CHALLENGE U IF U READ THIS, I PLAY GOLF WITH EBBY WHO I KNOW U KNOW, LETS DO THIS HOLLA