Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Bottom two on monotone flop OOP

My first HE post. My experience lies in O8 and Stud/8 but since I like playing HORSE, I tolerate the HE rounds. I've read maybe half of SSHE but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the game, so I often find myself lost in hands and tend to shut down when unsure.

Villain is unknown.

Full Tilt Poker
HORSE Ring game
Limit: $.50/$1
7 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (8SB, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 10BB
Old 03-18-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Bottom two on monotone flop OOP

3bet the flop, bet any turn
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better to bet/3-bet than check-raise?
Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better to bet/3-bet than check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

CR is WAY better than bet/3-bet.

You want the people behind you with rag [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]'s to think that they can't improve.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first HE post. My experience lies in O8 and Stud/8 but since I like playing HORSE, I tolerate the HE rounds. I've read maybe half of SSHE but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the game

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, if you can play O8, you can play Hold'em. You may just be overthinking things.

In this hand, what are you afraid of that's making you not jam the pot here? If you're behind, it's to AA or a flopped flush. Those hands are unlikely. If another [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or another big card, like say a K, falls, then you can go into calldown mode. But you have the best hand a large majority of the time here and you need to make everyone else pay to hit their draws.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Hey Alchemist, welcome to HE

I really don't like the open limp from UTG either, hard to play the hand OOP after its been raised.

In this case tho, you have to jam the pot OOP and cross ur fingers that another spade doesn't fall.

CR is not good here as your giving spades a chance to catch here, you have to bet and expect alot of A/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hands to use their position and bump it, which u will then 3bet. Problem arises that if the villian who is in position is raising w/ a made hand that doesn't want a spade OR he wants the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to hit. Regardless, if a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] comes you have to slow down and really consider folding based on the pot size and/or the read on the villian.

Bet out, expect to be raise OOP by a big spade and then 3bet it. If its capped then i go into CD mode......no cap on the flop AND no [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] lead out the turn.

Im starting to play Stud and the major difference w/ this game and that one is the value of hands are more absolute in HE because position does not change as the hand progresses, so you have to be very careful w/ your hand selection in EP.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, if you can play O8, you can play Hold'em. You may just be overthinking things.

[/ QUOTE ]
That may be true. I'm prone to seeing monsters under the bed in a lot of spots. I probably don't have a good gauge on hand strength in HE either. I would think my bet into 3 players including the PF raiser would signify a strong hand. After his raise, instead of interpreting it as necessarily being a very strong hand, I have to keep in mind he's very likely trying to keep others from drawing as well.

I also have to remember that aggression is rewarded esp in HE and to get accustomed to it being a higher variance game. Thanks for the replies--a lot of hands make more sense when you can sit down and study it for a minute. Villain had AKo no spade. Was his play completely standard, especially in light of how timidly I played it? Including what he probably thought was a value bet on the river?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 AM

*grunch*

I would not call this from UTG. As played on the flop I would bet the turn and make it 3 if he raises. If he caps call down. If he calls your 3-bet on turn lead on the river.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:33 AM

Grunch:

The pf raiser raised you. I would 3-bet the flop. If he caps you then you will be getting 8:1 on the turn with great implied odds and can call his turn bet
Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 AM

Location: Hastings 3L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preflop limp is a little loose from UTG.

I think I 3-town the flop. He doesn't have the flush unless he raised with KQs, KJs, QJs, maybe JTs so you're likely ahead here. He could be raising you with AK-AT and you are way ahead, or a high pocket pair with a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You are likely ahead so bet now.