Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 AM

Default 5NL - Is this too tight? + First Post

Hi, first I will give you a bit of background info on myself. I have been playing poker for about 18 months now, and
initaly started playing in the free pub poker leagues around my area. I had some success, and won a trip to vegas last year.

I then started playing online with play money and eventually moved onto the low limit SNG's and MTT. I was getting a bit frustrated with the low limit MTT and SNG and so I decided last month (while on a no internet based break) that I would start to play the micro cash games.

So here is a had I played today, I think it was probaly a little too tight. The villins stats where 22/5/1.1 after about 100 hands.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($1.24)
CO ($8.16)
Hero ($5.85)
SB ($2.90)
BB ($6)
UTG ($4.99)
UTG+1 ($6.29)
MP1 ($1.87)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $8.16</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $1.27

I think that his 3 bet range would be JJ-AA, AK and mabey AQ. Is this too tight of a PF range for 5NL? Is just calling in position a viable option?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: 5NL - Is this too tight? + First Post

good fold. not too tight. IMO it is a classic 'i'll pretend to be weak then have him call my all in when i have a good hand' situation.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 AM

oh and calling in position is rarely ever a viable option in this situation, especially at NL 0.05
Old 09-14-2007, 01:50 AM

Welcome to the board! Congrats on winning that Vegas trip! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Must have been sweet. I also have a similar history, started with freerolls and moved to $2 SNG's.

About the hand, you played it very well IMO. You definitely want to raise it. If he has KK/AA on a low flop then it will be a lot more expensive for you and much harder to fold. IMO the 3-bet push range at NL5 is usually AA/KK, sometimes worse hands but very rarely something you beat with queens. Its different if villain is a maniac who likes to play for stacks with almost any hand, but those are usually very easy to spot.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:41 AM

dont play those mega-retarded-micro-super-stupid-nano-limits

I suggest u play 10$ tables at bodog, people equally retarded but with more money and easy 15-45 daily bucks....i crushed those games and i think im kinda stupid
Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 AM

el foldo. well done.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:09 AM

Whats your problem Luis? I started with NL5 too, and I think it made a terrific job of teaching me some basics about cash games. Obv the play isn't brilliant there, but it still allowed me to figure out which hands work well in multi way pots etc and villains weren't able to exploit my weaknesses too well. I think its a very good idea to start at the low levels and work up.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:17 AM

I like it. Maybe I would raise more preflop - to 0.7$ or 0.8$. But 0.6 is ok also.

Nice job.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't know if I was possibly putting him on too tight of a range for re shoving. But you comments have been re-assuring.

[ QUOTE ]

I suggest u play 10$ tables at bodog, people equally retarded but with more money and easy 15-45 daily bucks....i crushed those games and i think im kinda stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a bankroll management plan laid out and I wanted to start small to ensure that I was beating the micro levels before moving up. I have now played about 12,000 hands at this level and have already learned some of the basic things that BotOnTilt has mentioned. I have also had to make some adjustments from playing MTT's, which have been where 90% of my poker experience has been.

That all being said I do want to move up to 10NL ASAP, but I just want to be confident that I am beating 5NL first.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Luis, while not tactful, is absolutely correct about Bodog.

Although I still wouldn't play NL10 there unless I had at least $100. To much of a hassle to get money on that site though.