Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Micro FR discussion

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, raising AQ from co and Big Blind calls, flop hits my queen, checked to and I bet BB calls, turn is a blank so I bet again and get called. By this time I kind of figure I beat and I usually check behind the river or call a tiny donk bet and get shown KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of the uNL players take lines like this. This guy is probably a total NIT, afraid that you have a set. Calling w/KK in the BB really hides your hand though. It works well in cash games and in tourneys when your blind vs blind. (If there area bunch of limpers, or 3/4 others in the hand, I'd highly suggest that you pot it at a minimum. I'd probably 1.5 to 2x pot)

Don't think that a passive player always has an overpair. Read the texture of the board, there are a lot of fishes drawing to their FD, OESD and Inside str8's. They will usually CC. If there is a dry board, then you either have to put him on an overpair, set or is just a bad player w/2nd or 3rd pair hoping to hit trips...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 AM

1. Should be a basic rule of your poker game.
2. Stop trying to steal blinds at a cash table unless there are tight nits in the blinds and no one has called ahead of you.
3. QFT, though I have trouble laying down to them myself, the odds are so good that I just want to suck out on them to punish them for making such a small raise.

You're running pretty tight so tightening or loosening shouldn't be the problem here. Try checking behind on the turn more, it even works in the micros for pot control and especially in inducing bluffs and calls.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 AM

I don't know how stars is guys because I dont play there, but I do not agree with #1 at all. I cont bet almost everytime in a heads up pot. If I dont take it down on the flop I slow down obviously, but if you are going to check every single flop that you miss you are not going to be winning very often. How do you expect to get paid off when u check when you miss and bet when you hit? Even some of the worst players are going to pick up on the fact that you dont cont bet when you flop nothing. I don't think you should cont bet into 5 players oop, but you should be doing it 95% of the time in a heads up pot when you are the raiser. I play 10NL on FTP and cont bets work very well for me.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a problem lately and it seems to be site related and I don't know if any of you can help out. I had been playing on UB a lot since the begining of the year and just recently switched over to Stars. Its a pasivity issue. The players at Stars are sooo passive compared to UB and I'm having a hard time adjusting. For instance, raising AQ from co and Big Blind calls, flop hits my queen, checked to and I bet BB calls, turn is a blank so I bet again and get called. By this time I kind of figure I beat and I usually check behind the river or call a tiny donk bet and get shown KK. Normally I would expect a raise somewhere down the line just in case villain might have the best hand, but it never comes.

Being more aggressive just seems to end up with me spewing chips and when I dial it back I am losing value. Maybe this is a variance thing. Maybe its moving from a long ball to a small ball type game.

A few things I have started doing is:

1. Stop C-betting into calling stations with air.
2. Stop trying to blind steal against players seeing the flop 40% or more with junk.
3. A mini-raise usually means your top pair is no good anymore. Now if I can just stop calling them.

Any general advice would be appreciated. I am running 15/7/1.4. Should I loosen up? Should I tighten up? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

About the AQ vs KK hands, I make a note on this player that can't fold overpair. Next time, I will stack him when I have more than just TPTK.

Do you have "call c-bet" and "raise c-bet" stats out? I find those stats are critical for me to decide whether I should c-bet or not. vpip 40% doesn't necessary mean they are calling station. It just means that they like to see Flop a lot. I would still bind steal people with vpip 40% of their "call or raise c-bet" is quite low.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

About the AQ vs KK hands, I make a note on this player that can't fold overpair. Next time, I will stack him when I have more than just TPTK.

Do you have "call c-bet" and "raise c-bet" stats out? I find those stats are critical for me to decide whether I should c-bet or not. vpip 40% doesn't necessary mean they are calling station. It just means that they like to see Flop a lot. I would still bind steal people with vpip 40% of their "call or raise c-bet" is quite low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me rephrase a couple things. First I know 40%vpip means nothing as far as cbets. I love the guys who call preflop raises only to fold. What I am talking about are the ones who call down with middle pair or a pocket pair higher than middle pair etc...

In a typical situation you raise .40 with KQ from MP loose passive who goes to showndown a lot calls on the button everyone else folds. Pot is now .95. Flop misses completely but something like J84r. Now for me to do a c-bet justice you have to make it at least 2/3pot in some games more. You want to look like you atleast have top pair or an overpair. For simplicities sake you bet half the pot. You have to win this situation 2 out of three times to break even. Now I know you have to factor in the fact that sometimes, like with AK, you might have the best hand still and that at times you will draw out on the turn.
Position obviously makes a big differnce too. Probably makes more of a difference than the villain.

Rod this is calling station specific. There are plenty of villains I will c-bet air against. So don't get any weird ideas that I actually have a hand when I bet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] There's also this thing called a check-raise. Not like many at NL10 are paying attention.

Similar with the blind steals. They are overrated first of all. Second, at NL10 in 500 hands last night I think I can count on one hand the actual number of times I had a true blind steal opportunity. Lots of limpers. Basically its a matter of having higher hand standards. Something that I can work with post flop. I was thinking about this last night because for most of the evening on one table the SB had vpip of 63 and BB was 82 when I had the button.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM

Bump for the new guys, this is an awesome thread.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM

i'm rebuliding now
deposited $200 and ran it up to $450 thru SNGs but downswonged back to $220.
never liked 6-max cash but i really like FR and im up 5 buy-ins or so at 10NL

2p2 has helped me a bit but ive learnt mainly thru just playing hands

i was wondering how much 2p2 has helped others?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM

A lot! Hard to explain though, mainly it made me think more and differently about my game. And it's good to have a place and the right guys to discuss certain types of hands with what, again, gives you a different point of view in many cases.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was wondering how much 2p2 has helped others?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that every once in a while a thread connects with me. Usually not so much hand reviews, more n/c strat stuff and actually threads like this one.

I stated in a different thread that one of the keys to my game has been to make a document on my desktop that holds snippets of threads. Copy and paste stuff that connects with you, add a litlle note to put it in perspective.

Then reread the document often. Works for me anyway.... your results may vary...... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 05:43 PM

2p2 Humbled the [censored] out of me...