Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-18-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Pot Limit Betting Preflop

Can someone describe the betting of pot limit preflop and postflop using the example of a small blind of $1 and a big blind of $2. Playing live at our game, we are always confused of what the amount of the bet should be if we say "Bet the pot". I say the first bet the pot should be $7 (call 2 dollars and bet the amount of $5 for a total of $7). Also, if no one raises, then would the small blind only be allowed to raise to $6 (call 1 dollar and bet the amount of the pot of $4 for a total of $6). That discrepancy of $6 and $7 is what is confusing us, or does the small blind just get the shaft.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Pot Limit Betting Preflop

The sb only gets to raise to $6 for the reasons you described.

Lucky
Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 PM

Does that not cause a disadvantage for the small blind to raise?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 AM

I suppose, but keep in mind that since everyone will be in the small blind at some point, everyone will have the same disadvantage roughly the same number of times in a session.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone describe the betting of pot limit preflop and postflop using the example of a small blind of $1 and a big blind of $2. Playing live at our game, we are always confused of what the amount of the bet should be if we say "Bet the pot". I say the first bet the pot should be $7 (call 2 dollars and bet the amount of $5 for a total of $7). Also, if no one raises, then would the small blind only be allowed to raise to $6 (call 1 dollar and bet the amount of the pot of $4 for a total of $6). That discrepancy of $6 and $7 is what is confusing us, or does the small blind just get the shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play pot limit all the time, and we have a standing rule that anyone can make it 5xBB to go at any time no matter what is in the pot.

When there are 2 limpers, you can make it 6xBB to go in our game because the SB is rounded up to be a BB, etc.

Works pretty good.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play pot limit all the time, and we have a standing rule that anyone can make it 5xBB to go at any time no matter what is in the pot.

When there are 2 limpers, you can make it 6xBB to go in our game because the SB is rounded up to be a BB, etc.

Works pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you don't say your playing Pot Limit when you play this game. This isn't Pot Limit at all, you just made up your own poker game. Since in "Pot Limit" the "Pot" is the "Limit"...
Old 10-20-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Works pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope you don't say your playing Pot Limit when you play this game. This isn't Pot Limit at all, you just made up your own poker game. Since in "Pot Limit" the "Pot" is the "Limit"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha well put - this did make me laugh. Like having a no limit game where you are limited to the amount you can bet. Or how about a limit game with no limits.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 PM

I think the idea is that a pot sized bet (the max allowed) gives any potential subsequent caller precisely 2:1 pot odds on the call - in the first case $5 to call and a $10 pot, in the second case $4 to call and an $8 pot.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:56 PM

I play 2,5. You must raise at least 5, you can raise 15. We up the first two to a five. Therefore, you call 5 and raise the 12, 15 max. If five call, then you are the sixth to call making 32 in the pot, then you can raise 35.

We always announce a raise verbally, we put out the last bet and often raise the size of the pot which includes our call.

Note that in pot limit, if someone bets the pot, you are getting two to one to call on a hand like a flush draw which makes it a good call.

Johnny Hughes
Old 10-21-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone describe the betting of pot limit preflop and postflop using the example of a small blind of $1 and a big blind of $2. Playing live at our game, we are always confused of what the amount of the bet should be if we say "Bet the pot". I say the first bet the pot should be $7 (call 2 dollars and bet the amount of $5 for a total of $7). Also, if everyone folds , then would the small blind only be allowed to raise to $6 (call 1 dollar and bet the amount of the pot of $4 for a total of $6). That discrepancy of $6 and $7 is what is confusing us, or does the small blind just get the shaft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Changed your post. Otherwise you're correct. Don't know that I agree that the SB gets the shaft as he only has one opponent to go against where anyone else still has both blinds potentially coming in along with possibly anyone who acts after them.