Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

View Poll Results: Weak hands with no draws
Bet 37 56.92%
Check 28 43.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Wacky HU action, Lagtard vs Lagtard, river bluffraising

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Grisga,

What were your hole cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

B bets, A calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

B bets, A raises, B raises, A calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

B bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said earlier in his examples that B/A had a busted inside straight draw, but was this on the flop? The only possible gutterball on the flop is 23 which made a wheel on the turn.

Grisga did you have something like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 92o. I'm not proud. I was in fight-over-every-goddamn-pot mode. I think there are (much) better ways to handle this kind of opponent; I just haven't figure those ways out quite yet, so I was reduced to calling with no outs and bluffraising a guy who can tell when I'm probably bluffraising. Luckily for me, he was playing almost the exact same style as I was.

I quit soon thereafter, taking my 15BB or so and running. I still haven't figured out how to best play against a lagtard like that without really dialing down the aggression. I would like to think the answer is 'selective' aggression but when you're playing HU, you can't afford to be too selective preflop when on the button IMO.

(Of course, the strategy that works the best when I play a sane player with that style is sane player simply hits the flop a lot and takes lots and lots of money from me. Fit-or-fold seems a bit silly HU, though . . .)

For what it's worth, I still don't know if my play was correct, because he could easily have 3-bet the river here with a busted draw. I think the fact that he won with K-high on a similar hand previously worked in my favor, making him less eager to fire yet another barrel; also, my "call the turn 3-bet, raise the river" line is a good one in general for getting more money out of an inveterate bluffer who may fold to a turn cap, and I think he recognized that.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Wacky HU action, Lagtard vs Lagtard, river bluffraising

It looks to me like after your opponent bets the river the pot has 11BB in it. Assuming you are folding to a 3-bet, you are risking 2BB to win 11BB by bluff raising, so you are getting 11:2 odds. If you estimate that he both has a better hand and will fold it at least 2/(11+2) = 2/13 = 15.4% of the time, then a bluff raise is profitable.

Cartman