Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: The Well: TheMetetron

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you could go back in time a year and give yourself 1 bit of poker related advice, what would it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't come up with much good here. Generally, to take time and think through hands as they are happening instead of just autopiloting everything. For a long time, I didn't think for nearly long enough before making plays and although I could later come up with the correct play, I wasn't doing it while playing.

Specifically, that at mid-stakes NL everyone isn't screwing with you constantly and it isn't OK to go crazy playing back at them. This is tilt, not "making a stand". Figure out their frequencies by using PT and adjust yours to take advantage of that. Also, when someone 3-bets you the last 3 orbits, it CAN be that they have a hand every time. You don't need to ALWAYS play back.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have to be some great examples of this that SSNL could learn from. Could you give like three examples of people who were giving you trouble, how you pawed through PT to get a better read on them, and exactly how you adjusted?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 PM

HU4ROLLZ?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Met:

How comfortable are you playing poker over various internet connections while traveling?

What kind of security precautions do you take?

How do you typically connect while traveling?

What kind of mobile setup do you have? (I have a mental image of a large metal case with a 30" Dell + Superloaded Laptop.)

What is a good resource for fully understanding all legalities associated with extended travel, say several countries over the course of a year? What do I need to know regarding US taxes, visas, visit length, etc. I'm completely clueless regarding this type of thing.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM

What languages do you speak fluently? Is it a neccesity to speak the language of the country you live in? Or can you get by using only english in a city like Paris?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you such a douchebag? i dont know 1 person that likes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure 99% of the forum would like him if they met him IRL
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You had 20k roll without any savings when you quit your job for poker and you said it's not recommenced. At how much should someone consider turning semipro and live fully with poker?

When you quit your job, were you thinking for a while on what could that mean to you in a near futur (not being able to get back on a 'normal' working schedule etc)? Have you ever considering not quitting your job because you thought poker isnt a secure way to live your life?

Woud you recommend to someone to become a pokerpro? What would you tell him that you think is important to understand when you're starting your poker career?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, just reading over your well, good stuff. Just wondering if you could answer those questions by theplux. My question is kind of similar, just wondering what kind of schedule you follow, if any. How do you balance your life with poker, do you just play when you want or play x amount of hands a day/week? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I don't only play at Party Poker (but "American" sites too!) and do so for a reason: Party Poker isn't some sort of golden promise land where money grows off trees. The regulars there, are surprise, surprise, better than the regulars on any other site. I know, who would've guessed.

[/ QUOTE ]

the datamining i've seen suggests that there are very, very few players at any level on stars & full tilt sustaining long-term winrates > 3-4ptbb/100. in fact, there really aren't many sustaining winrates even that high.

yes, players sometimes enjoy 30k stretches at 6ptbb+, even 50-60k. but over 100k+ hands, winrates that high just do not appear to be sustainable.

have you played 100k+ hands at any one level on a US site at > 6ptbb/100? have you played 100k+ cumulatively on US sites at > 6ptbb/100?

if you say you have, i'll believe you. but i just want to confirm this before i proceed to additional questions. you've described yourself as a >6ptbb/100 winner, but i just want to make sure that you've truly established that to be accurate on US sites.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM

This isn't an exact hand but something that I've been put into alot recently that has left me a little confused.

I'm on CO with AdTd

folded to me I raise to $1
Button calls
SB and BB fold

Board comes 8h Ts 5s

I make a standard continuation bet of $1.50
Button calls

Turn comes Qs

What do you do here?

Betting seems like a bad idea, it folds out every hand you are ahead of. Doesn't necessarily fold out draws. Although it does mean you get value from hands like KT with the king of spades. I guess you fold to a raise, what do you do on the river, continue to bet or check/call or check/fold? What river cards change your action?

If you check a good opponent is going to bet with/without the flush, thats an overcard to the board and completed the flush. So do you call a turn bet?

River comes 3d

What is your plan here? If it has gone check/check do you blocking bet thinking he is unlikely to raise without a hand that has you crushed? Do you check with the intention of calling a bet thinking that he will bluff a large part of his range?

Similarly if it has gone bet/call or check/bet/call on the turn do you bet out? Or do you check/fold or check call.

What sort of villain tendencys change your decision?

How do your actions change if the turn does not complete the flush but just brings an overcard? I would usually bet again if it didn't complete the flush hoping to get value from draws/worse 1 pair hands then check call the river.

Thanks for this TheMetetron.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HU4ROLLZ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm not AE [censored] JONES and I don't have a huge ego. I'm going go to play good players HU.*

*Not a knock at aejones. He is, to be fair, from what I can tell a really good player. Though I must qualify that with the fact that I've never played against/with him and this is just my impression.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 PM

thanks for someone quoting my questions. still looking foward the answers.