Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Do you make the hero call here? Stars 8.80

At work so no hand history, but this one has been bugging me all day so I need to post.

25/50 level of the stars 8.80 MTT, around 1000 runners

Villian UTG+1 3500
Hero MP2 2000

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian raised to 150
Hero calls 150
Others fold

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villian checks
Hero raises 250

Villain insta-pushes all in.

Do you make the call here? I'm pretty sure he's on a semi-bluff.

I know a few things

1. He checks, I could easily be on the draw since I flat called, so the check makes me think he's isn't worried about giving me the free card
2. His push is a little large - he doesn't want me to call, so he doesn't have a monster.
3. He insta pushes - so he wasn't thinking about what my bet meant, i.e. whether I had a hand that beat him, or whether I hand that would call his push if he wanted me to

2 and 3 rule out a monster, and 1 and 3 rule out a marginal hand that beats me, ie a single pair.

The board has a couple of draws so it's highly likely he's on the semi-bluff. Against that range I'm pretty good, the only hands I don't want to see are a double draw like JQ of clubs or draws that are ahead of me like A4 or AK of clubs.

What do you think about pre-flop, my stack size was a little awkward, I didn't really want to re-raise to 500 or so and then miss with 25% of my stack in the pot, yet my stack was too big to push.

I also didn't really mind another player coming along as AQ suited playes pretty well in a multi-player pot and it was a bit early for me to be bluffing the flop if I miss.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Do you make the hero call here? Stars 8.80

I would be interested in your assumption about Villains hand-range here - what do you think he would raise with UTG what you still beat?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:29 AM

I think this early on in an low buy in MTT like this his range is pretty wide. Could be anything from 66+ A7+ K10+ QJ+

Howver the main point was not his original range, its what I can narrow his range to based on his flop actions.

What do you think of my logic there, can I narrow it as much as I think i can?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:55 AM

i think your analyzes is right but even so u still have nothing and he has plenty of outs.at best your a 2 to 1 favourite.If you think he wont raise with anything less than AJ UTG or 77-AA.If that is near enough his range then your only baten 1 ace(AJ)and have 6 outs at best.I think u should fold here and look or a better spot,you still have a healthy stack.Dont rule out a set either,where he could just wanted you to bet,so he could come OTT and is also afraid of the flush draw.I think pre flop your call was correct but you didnt hit enough of the flop to continue with the hand.Your bet was reasonable to as it could of easily have missed him to and you are heads up.Maybe my range here is still to tight for him,but u still have plenty of play left with your stack when u fold.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:49 AM

I think your range for an UTG raise is too wide, while i still you find many limpers with your range on a 8.80 early on i think you have to assume something like 88+,AT+,KQ - i know this is on the tight side but until we have no proof otherwise we should take these tight ranges (because most people tend to play tight).

Given that range your call preflop is good. AQs is too weak to reraise a UTG raise.

Your C-bet on the flop - which is a good one for you - is fine as well.

The push indicates a bluff or a semibluff (or a fish that made his set falling out of his chair - but as long we have no proof that it is a fish, a semibluff is most likely).

A semibluff with the preflop range could mean AT+ suited with 2 clubs, AK or AQ with one/two clubs, AK without a club, 88.

it could also mean (over)protecting move for a higher PP like JJ or QQ.

As you see there are much more possiblities that beat you, than the ones you can beat. as you are not desperate yet i'd back off and look for a less risky spot.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your range for an UTG raise is too wide, while i still you find many limpers with your range on a 8.80 early on i think you have to assume something like 88+,AT+,KQ - i know this is on the tight side but until we have no proof otherwise we should take these tight ranges (because most people tend to play tight).

Given that range your call preflop is good. AQs is too weak to reraise a UTG raise.

Your C-bet on the flop - which is a good one for you - is fine as well.

The push indicates a bluff or a semibluff (or a fish that made his set falling out of his chair - but as long we have no proof that it is a fish, a semibluff is most likely).

A semibluff with the preflop range could mean AT+ suited with 2 clubs, AK or AQ with one/two clubs, AK without a club, 88.

it could also mean (over)protecting move for a higher PP like JJ or QQ.

As you see there are much more possiblities that beat you, than the ones you can beat. as you are not desperate yet i'd back off and look for a less risky spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the exception that I donīt judge the given range to be tight (in contrast, raising from UTG with ATo is incredibly loose!!!) I agree with everything levAA said - as that was exactly what my initial question aimed at.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raising from UTG with ATo is incredibly loose!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

totally agreed - saw it's UTG+1 and beginning of a big MTT - i'd never do this myself
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 AM

I think I would muck.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 AM

1. i think villain is mixing up his play. he either has a big pair and he wants to price YOU OFF a draw (most likely) or 2. he's semibluffing w AK and he wants you to lay down a mid pp 66-88 in which you still lose

this is really a no brainer fold imo
Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 AM

Check flop, fold to push.