Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel

Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Default American Road Trips; Highway 61/ Route 66...

I'm considering doing a Road Trip next summer. I hear the most famous ones are Route 66, Highway 61 and LA or Chicago to San Fransisco. Having never been to the US; a road trip is how I'd like to discover it. For some reason i'm quite nostalgic about the US and the culture. I can see myself driving down Highway 61 listening to some of Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited, cruising down Route 66 listening to Neil Young's 'From Hank to Hendrix', travelling through Nevada with 'The Duke'! and experiencing scenes from some of my favourite movies... you get the picure!

Though I don't mind travelling on my own (I'm doing so at the moment) such a trip would have to be taken with a friend(s) imo. Anyway, has anyone done any of these trips. I hear some of Route 66 has been replaced by big ugly highways, but any suggestions/advice much appreciated.

note; I found somewhere for under 21's to hire a car in LA so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, if I do the Highway 61 trip I may do it with a friend from Wyoming which it passes through, making getting a car easier.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: American Road Trips; Highway 61/ Route 66...

I havn't done any of the spesific ones you mention but i did a 32 day roadtrip from New York to San Fransisco a couple of years ago. It was the best 32 days of my life so far by the way.

We were 3 friends travelling together. We only had the plane ticket home from San Fransisco planned. Everything else we decided along the way, although we all had some places we wanted to visit in mind. We started off by spending 3 days in New Your(if you go there you should spend more than 3, but we had so many other places to go as well). We rented a car on the 3rd day and set of for Washington DC. Spent 2 days there and set our course furhter south towards Florida. It was a long straight drive with not much to see before we ended up in Daytona Beach Florida. The city most famouos for the Daytona 500 races was awsome. Great night life and a laid back surfer culture. We went from there to Panama City Beach and experiensed Spring Break by coinsidence which turned out to be a great party! Also stopped in Orlando before that and visited the Epcot Center at Disney World...

I just realised that it would take hours writing the rest of this story..so i'll stop it here and just say that we had the best trip ever. Some of the highlights from the last 23 days were New Orleans, Tunica(gambling place north of New Orleans), an aligator safari, Memphis, Graceland, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Rosswell, Texas, Playing golf several places, Grand Canyon, LAS VEGAS BABY!!! (The best 4 days of the trip! And so much more than just poker and gambling, although we spent alot of time doing that to!), San Diego, Sea World, LA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Universal Studios, Highway 1, San Jose and of course San Francisco.

My best advise to you is to not plan every litlle deatil of your trip as our best memories are the unexpected things we encountered along the way. Like snow in the dessert of New Mexico, getting arrested in Florida, Great scenary along the road and so much more!

Enjoy your trip and have the best time of your life!

Thomas ( A road trip fanatic!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:23 PM

Just did a 30 day roadtrip of the US (May-June). Tons and tons of driving, but it was a blast.

Michigan (start)
Pittsburgh (family)
Week in North Carolina (family/beach vacation)
Nashville (college roommate is there now)
Asheville (quick stop)
Tulsa (family)
San Antonio (Alamo & Riverwalk)
Carlsbad Caverns
White Sands, NM
Painted Desert & Petrified Forest
Grand Canyon for a couple days
Vegas for 5 days
Sequoia NP
Yosemite NP
San Francisco
Yellowstone NP
Mt Rushmore
Badlands
Minneapolis
Duluth
thru Michigan's U.P. into Canada
Toronto
Niagara Falls
back to Pittsburgh to pick up some stuff
on to NJ for the summer.

Some of the choices were for family/friends reasons, obv.

What I'd recommend for sure:
Carlsbad Caverns
Grand Canyon (must must must see & really should hike)
Vegas
Yosemite NP
Yellowstone NP

Edit: For your first time to the US, you have to see New York, imo. The east and west coasts are like 2 separate worlds, and having grown up on the east coast, our trip focused heavily on things "out west" that we'd never seen and ignored many beautiful/interesting places back east.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I havn't done any of the spesific ones you mention but i did a 32 day roadtrip from New York to San Fransisco a couple of years ago. It was the best 32 days of my life so far by the way.

We were 3 friends travelling together. We only had the plane ticket home from San Fransisco planned. Everything else we decided along the way, although we all had some places we wanted to visit in mind. We started off by spending 3 days in New Your(if you go there you should spend more than 3, but we had so many other places to go as well). We rented a car on the 3rd day and set of for Washington DC. Spent 2 days there and set our course furhter south towards Florida. It was a long straight drive with not much to see before we ended up in Daytona Beach Florida. The city most famouos for the Daytona 500 races was awsome. Great night life and a laid back surfer culture. We went from there to Panama City Beach and experiensed Spring Break by coinsidence which turned out to be a great party! Also stopped in Orlando before that and visited the Epcot Center at Disney World...

I just realised that it would take hours writing the rest of this story..so i'll stop it here and just say that we had the best trip ever. Some of the highlights from the last 23 days were New Orleans, Tunica(gambling place north of New Orleans), an aligator safari, Memphis, Graceland, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Rosswell, Texas, Playing golf several places, Grand Canyon, LAS VEGAS BABY!!! (The best 4 days of the trip! And so much more than just poker and gambling, although we spent alot of time doing that to!), San Diego, Sea World, LA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Universal Studios, Highway 1, San Jose and of course San Francisco.

My best advise to you is to not plan every litlle deatil of your trip as our best memories are the unexpected things we encountered along the way. Like snow in the dessert of New Mexico, getting arrested in Florida, Great scenary along the road and so much more!

Enjoy your trip and have the best time of your life!

Thomas ( A road trip fanatic!

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, that sounds awesome. thanks. i darent ask what you got arrested for [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Then i daren't say it was for underage drinking..
Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 PM

i did one a couple of years ago which was probably the best 6 weeks of my life.

Myself and 6 buddies did a round trip in our van from Calgary>Vancouver>Seattle>San Fran>LA>San Diego>Tijuana>Vegas> Salt Lake City and then my mate rolled the van somewhere north of Jackson, WY so we had to bus the rest of it. we stopped in a million different places too. I definitely recommend the Pacific coast, it's awesome.

I am on my way out now but i'll post more details/photos soon