Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2006, 11:41 PM

Default $500K Qualifier: Good Stop-N-Go?

A bit of background information: There are 4 tables left, with the top 9 paying seats to the $500K tomorrow. My image is probably weird, since I played squeaky tight early on, then pushed AQo into AKo and got crippled. I pushed K3o UTG into the Button's AA and flopped two pair a bit later. I folded for a round, and this happened. CO started the hand with about 17K and I had about 6K.

Here's the hand:
Folded to CO who minraises to 1600. I'm in the BB with KJo and I call 800 more.
Flop comes Q-J-6 rainbow and I push for my 4500 left. CO calls with KK and I don't draw out.

I'm second guessing myself about this, and would like some other opinions. Does he have a hand to call me with on that flop often enough, or am I just being a results-oriented crybaby?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:54 PM

Default Re: $500K Qualifier: Good Stop-N-Go?

Yes, and yes. Late position minraises scare me...
Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 AM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

i push pf. stop n gos r better with mid pp's but this was the flop to do it on i think
Old 04-09-2006, 12:25 AM

Minraise from CO smells fishy.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Minraise from CO smells fishy.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case a mini-raise commits the hero's entire stack and doesn't necessarily mean a big hand.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:51 AM

If you push pre-flop there will be about 8,000 in the pot and cost him another 4,400 to call. Getting less than 2 to 1 odds he will most likely fold a pure steal attempt. So I kind of like the pre-flop push here.

I don't think I like a stop and go on this flop. You've got a pretty strong hand with middle pair. If you push, he will certainly call you with any hand you are behind (AQ, KQ, AJ, etc.). There are two objectives with a stop and go. One, get a hand like AK to only see 3 cards and fold to the flop push. Two, get a hand you're behind to fold. That's more likely when you've got something like 88 on a AQ3 board and your opponent has JJ-99, maybe even KK. So the only reason to stop and go is to get something like AK, AT, KT, etc. to fold. His range of hands certainly is wide enough to include lots of hands that are drawing thin against you. Therefore, IF I were to just call pre-flop I think I'd check-call on the flop and give him a chance to bet at it.