Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Bored now. Invent a novel poker variant.

This is a creation of my own brain. The newest form of tournament poker to sweep the nation. HAWAIIAN HOLDEM!!! or Honest Ryan Holdem. It is made to be played in tournaments/SNGs and is played exactly like regular holdem except for one small rule change. Winner of the pot also wins the button. It will increase the importance of winning every hand, adds a big advantage to the aggr player, punishes the weak players, encourages allin steals and re-steals. and basically teaches good poker concepts.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:27 PM

I liked Discard Draw. It's draw with one variation. That's where all cards mucked or discarded are shuffled and then dealt instead of using the deck. It's funny when you get the same 2 cards you discarded, especially when you're drunk.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a creation of my own brain. The newest form of tournament poker to sweep the nation. HAWAIIAN HOLDEM!!! or Honest Ryan Holdem. It is made to be played in tournaments/SNGs and is played exactly like regular holdem except for one small rule change. Winner of the pot also wins the button. It will increase the importance of winning every hand, adds a big advantage to the aggr player, punishes the weak players, encourages allin steals and re-steals. and basically teaches good poker concepts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like.

The person two to the left of the big stack is totally [censored] in any big time bubble situation.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like this alot. Definitely would promote action.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:39 AM

Split pot studugi.

Best four-card flush wins half the pot. If no one has a four flush, best three, etc. (Having five or more of a suit is irrelevant)

So nut-nut is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Split pot studugi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:09 AM

someone can check my math on this but i think the likelihood of making a four card hand each way is ~3.7%.

for a given suit: (13*12*11*10*13*12*11) card combinations * (7C4 = 35 ways to distribute the suit) * (6 ways to distribute the offsuit cards). That times four accounts for all suits, divide by (52*51*50*49*48*47*46).

But the vast majority of 7-card hands will make a four-card hand one way or the other. 3/2/2/0 and 3/3/1/0 are the only distributions that don't, plus a few of the 3/2/1/1 types that pair.

Trying to think about strategy - the three strongest hands on 5th street would probably be a good badugi with the suited card the same suit as your highest badugi card, a made flush with a low offsuit card, and a 3/1/1 hand with strong 3 card hands both ways. Rough badugis and [censored] flushes are probably ok as long as you make them early, but drawing to a rough tri or a [censored] 3-flush on 4th without much the other way would be bad unless really cheap.

Mediocre made one-way hands probably want to push when the rest of the players are drawing, both to charge people drawing for their side and to freeroll versus a draw for the other side (backing into a 3 card hand that scoops is more likely headsup). Really strong made hands might want to pull, especially on sixth with say a 2/2/1/1 distribution, once making a winning hand the other way is very unlikely. It seems a lot changes from fifth to sixth, a good one way hand on fifth needs to catch very well on sixth to have a scoop chance.

Aces are huge.

Might also be fun w/ a qualifier, where only four-card hands play.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM

I think an Omaha/Stud combo could be fun as a limit game. It would be dealt with both blinds and antes and there would be an initial round of betting after everyone gets their Omaha hands. Then, 2 upcards would be dealt to each player followed by a round of betting, then another upcard to each player and another round of betting. Finally, the "river" would be dealt as a community card in the center of the table. 2 down cards and 3 up cards must be used just like in Omaha.

The good thing about only having 3 upcards plus the river is that hands like straights retain value since it will still be difficult to make big hands with only 4 upcards to choose from. Also, it allows for the game to be played 7-handed without any worries about running out of cards. Giving the first upcards two at a time also encourages draws. I think for simplicity's sake, the best name for this game would be 8-card stud.

As an alternate rule, after the river, the betting could become pot limit instead of limit. That way, you have lots of rounds to gather information and lots of people trying to follow their draws cheap, but you still have to face big decisions trying to use that information. However, this might make it too easy for people to fold on paired boards as the game became all about nut-peddling big full houses. It would probably have better long-term action as a simple limit game.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:21 PM

I'd like to play a version of razz where the hand rankings are changed so that the nuts is quads, followed by a full house, followed by standard razz hand rankings. Quad/boats are ranked highest = best and aces are still low, so the nuts is KKKK. This would encourage people to chase when they are paired and IMO would be a lot less agonizing to play (except when your wheel is cracked by runner runner quads obv).
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to play a version of razz where the hand rankings are changed so that the nuts is quads, followed by a full house, followed by standard razz hand rankings.

[/ QUOTE ]

A wheel should still beat a boat I think. Maybe any six should beat a boat. Otherwise rolled-up hands become way too powerful.