Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Short Poker Essay: How to get broke, how to get rich

so even at the highest level they don't make 25k a month why not just play cash
Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because i dont enjoy cash as much But ur right, cash is better at the highest levels. I just dont care for it.

Indy
Old 10-26-2007, 06:33 PM

great post indy... very intuitive but a simple concept we all need to take ALOT away from. Many times it's the little things holding us back, and this mindset truly is the winning way, so again, you hit on something I think this forum has needed reminding of, great job
Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too many people make 300k a year in HU cash either, do they?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:30 PM

good post indiana. i think it basically just comes down to a way of losing focus on your actual play... i've been guilty of it quite a few times myself. when you start being overly concerned with results, or even worse, the volume that you play, it's easy to get in the habit of breezing through hu sng's 1 after another with the mentality that you're "grinding". for me personally i've fallen victim to that by talking to cash players who talk about playing a sick amount of hands per month. it makes me feel like "damn, i need to get on my grind" but when it comes down to it, you can't really relate grinding cash to grinding hu sng's- and if you do it's a recipe for disaster. the best thing to do is be intent solely on playing really good and focusing on every decision, not getting ahead of yourself by thinking about "the big picture", because without taking it 1 step at a time there is no "big picture" at the end. it's like that proverb "there is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the moment. a man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. if one fully understands the present moment, there is nothing left to do, and nothing else to pursue."

realistically though, we all want to make money in poker, and if you take out that concern all together it's probably even more of a slippery slope than being overly concerned with it, because it's an easy way to excuse yourself from having poor results. so as always, there's 2 sides to that coin... but it's not all that hard to balance though if you're practical about it
Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 PM

also, shipurstack is 100% on the money. compared to what their edge would be in cash, any exceptionally good hu player loses mass amounts of equity playing hu sng's. all you have to do is look at the realistic roi's the top players make long-term and compare it to the ptbb/100 and hourlies standard players make at mid stakes cash. hu sng's are great if you're trying to build a roll and gravitate up the ladder, but once you reach a level where you're settled, they're not the best thing to grind if you're really trying to make a lot of money from poker. believe me, i've wasted a lot of my time in them before i accepted that fact.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Snorer, what level did you max out at before you realized it was more +EV to play HU cash? 200 or 500s?

Also, I know you play a lot of regular speed games. Do you think for a very good turbo player it may be awhile longer until it's more +EV to play hu cash? I'm not really sure what the hourlies are for some of the mid level HU cash players and what kind of skills it takes to get there compared to Husngs.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Snorer makes a good point. I hope that Tnixon rings in on how he can stay focused on three tables 10 hours a day.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 PM

I thought Tnixon was the one that went busto like 4 times. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Wish I could say that.