Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: ruling question (with anecdotes)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

3. If this player had been unaware of the raise in front of him, he could be allowed to take back his $25 and reconsider his action.

4. If the dealer asks the player if he was aware of the raise in front of him and he says yes, then he must complete the raise to minimum legal which is to add another $3.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have seen this interpretation used and I think it's horrible. If a floor were to rule this way every time, it would be an angle shooters dream.

For example:
Scenario 1: Raise to $15... oh look i have TT, let me see where I'm at, "make it $25"....sir you can't do that. did you see there was a raise in front of you...(thinks hmm...I don't think he likes that I reraised) "Yes, I was trying to reraise"...Ok the minimum raise is $28, so the bet is $28.
scenario 2: Raise to $15... oh look i have TT, let me see where I'm at, "make it $25"....sir you can't do that. did you see there was a raise in front of you...(thinks hmm...Original raiser is creaming in his pants and wants this to be a raise) "No, I didn't see that raise, I'll just call" (thinks, let me hit a set and stack this bitch)

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Yes, it could be an angleshooting scenario now. However, I feel that number of times it happens as an honest mistake dwarfs the number of times it's an angleshoot. And while I'm all for keeping angleshooters at bay, I am also for running a fair game and correcting honest mistakes.

2. A lot of players, myself included, will recognize if this is an angleshoot or an honest mistake. And if it's an angleshoot, the angleshooter might just as well flip over his marginal hand and play face it up.

3. This rule is very similar to the "out of turn" rule which is also accused of being a hunting ground for angle shooters. However, once again my feeling is that there are a lot more innocent mistakes to correct than there are angles being shot.

And finally, angle shooting ain't what it's cracked up to be. I have a great story about an angle shoot. NL cash game, three way pot. On the river Player 1 is contemplating a bet. Player 2, who I had doubts about quickly says all-in. Player 3 (who is obviously inexperienced) quickly says "call". Player 1 says hey wait a minute I haven't acted yet but seeing the action, he just mucks. Player 2 tries to take back his all-in and reconsider. Dealer says his action is binding and floor comes over and agrees. Floor tells Player 2 to put all his chips in (noob has him covered) and flip over his hand. As he's putting his chips in we can all see noob just drooling so he asks him what he has and noob flips the nut flush. Player 2 mucks. For only a fleeting moment I consider asking to see his hand but he is bigger than me. I quickly made friends with noob and explained to him what I thought happened. Noob was very kind to me in return.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CLIFF'S NOTES TO OP: $1-2 NLHE. Pre-flop, I make it $15 to go. Next player announces "Raise to $25". We presume that he didn't see the raise in front of him. Dealer properly declares a mini-re-raise of $13 more, to $28. Can/should I call string bet here?

MY ANSWER: Call the $13 and STFU. Gee whiz, leave the nitting to the nits. If $13 is gonna cause you this much angst, go find a seat in a $2-4 limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone else for a lot of insight into the finer points of live play. That's what I hoped to learn.

As for the reply above. You're a real internet champ. Bravo! While my post may have been long winded and of little to no interest to you (and thus best ignored), I will reiterate what I stated explicitly which is that I had no intention at that time or any other time to call a string bet. My worry was that the guy might say, "Oh, he raised. then I make it 100." (No where did I say, should I call string bet? I said, should the dealer call string bet? my question was whether other guy's action was capped at my raise--to contain him beyond a min raise.) and I would have to throw my pretty little hand away with all the angst and nittiness and limit personality disorder that you diagnosed. thanks much for the advice. and as for what actually happened--who cares?

edit: so what I didn't get was that a minraise would be a special case. which I learn from this thread. I was thinking that the only possible interpretations of his action were call, or raise to whatever he wants. that's why I was hoping he would be forced to call. and not allowed a wide open option to raise.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Scenario 1: Raise to $15... oh look i have TT, let me see where I'm at, "make it $25"....sir you can't do that. did you see there was a raise in front of you...(thinks hmm...I don't think he likes that I reraised) "Yes, I was trying to reraise"...Ok the minimum raise is $28, so the bet is $28.

[/ QUOTE ]

If some guy's "dream" is to min-reraise with TT when he thinks he's ahead, then I really don't mind if he's playing at my table to begin with, and he can try to "angle-shoot" all he wants.