Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 PM

Default bad running shoes for my knees?

I've never been a regular runner (but when in college 10+ years ago had the basic fitness level of 2 miles/ 12 minutes from other sports). Now I've got the bug. I'm going 4-5 times a week at medium to slow jog pace, 2-3 miles, 2 or so walking breaks--to start. I'm close to 7' tall, weigh 220-225 or so. That's light in a sense (for my height), but also somewhat heavy. (I also tended to I think underpronate a lot (outside of heels wore out fast at an angle)--but my posture's a lot better now and I only feel slightly pigeon toed when I run.)

Question: I like lightweight flats, for the weight, the surface feel, the flat angle, etc. I run almost entirely on pavement. Sometimes I feel some pressure on my knees bordering discomfort, sometimes not discomfort but still I feel it. Is it a mistake to run in these shoes on pavement for me: New Balance rc230, 1 & 1/16th" heel (measuring the rubber outside). I suspect that these may be racing shoes that are supposed to be for occasional use only.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: bad running shoes for my knees?

Mosta,
Flats are meant for fast,light weight, efficient runners. None of which describe you. Also, whether you pronate or suppinate, you still land on the outside part of the heel. Most people pronate(85 %), so I would guess you do to, you just don't know it. Also, running on pavement is the worst possible surface you could run on. So basically, you are a prime candidate for injury. My suggestion would be to go to an actual running store and have them fit you for a pair of shoes. If they don't examine your footstrike and gait, thjey don't know what they are doing and I would go elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:44 AM

Definitely go to a 'runners' store and get some good running shoes. As Banks said, they should check out your gait and footstrike and suggest a good pair. Those NB's are not really suitable for you based on info given. Expect to pay around $80-$100 for a good pair. Use them only to run and try to avoid getting them wet, it will wear out the insoles quicker. You should get around 500 miles from a pair of good running shoes, though it might be somewhere around 300-400 in reality. FWIW, I tend to prefer Asics, but have had NB in the past and they are good, too. Your running shoe is the only cushion between the surface you run on and your knees, so it is uber-important to make sure you have a running shoe that suits your physical size and running style.

Concrete is the probably the worst surface you can run on, especially if you're just starting out. It has no give whatsoever. Asphalt roads aren't terrible, but not the best. They usually have at least some ground up rubber (from old tires) in them to increase traction for cars. That rubber provides at least some 'give'. Compacted dirt, or loose gravel, trails are probably the best. If it's level (meaning no hidden holes from gophers, groundhogs, or moles), a grass field can be good, too. I run almost entirely on asphalt roads, occasionally on a boardwalk. I change out my running shoes (or at least just the insoles) every 350 miles or so. They just break down too much and I can feel some pain in my knees.

Your routine is okay for just getting back into it, though I am an advocate of not running on consecutive days as I beleive it increases (if only slightly) a chance of injury.

You can run 2-3 miles in many different ways; flat course versus hills, quicker pace versus slower, etc. You can challenge yourself in any number of ways. It helps to mix up your 'course' or 'route', too. If you do the same course, the same distance, at the same pace, all the time, you will eventually see diminishing returns.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks both for the good advice. I may try to find a grass route--though there's not a lot of options here. There is one median that is pretty popular, but the cross traffic, street lights, and street cars will be very annoying. But I guess it may be worth it.

I'll just mention that when I was in a lot better running shape, I was very light on me feet. My stride was pretty much silent. But I guess the fact will remain that I weigh over 200 pounds and won't ever be all that good a runner. So the flats may or may not be something to consider in the future, or maybe not even then. At present I definitely have some plod, due to lower fitness and leg strength.

And when I get to the point where I'm actually running a fair amount, I'll search around in here for more on making a weekly plan.

Thanks again. Time to go to the running store in the burbs.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 PM

As others suggested go to a runner's store and have them recommend something. FWIW, I've always thought New Balance had the best selection for bigger runners/plodders.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM

New Balance offers (or used to offer) the most sizes for feet width. (This claim was made some time ago, though, so there may be other brands that have as many, or more, now). This is important for comfort, especially for bigger runners. The reason is because, when a heavier bodied runner plants their foot, the additional body weight actually makes the foot expand a little wider than the same size foot on a lighter bodied runner (hope that makes sense).

Mosta, any parks nearby, or near enough that you can drive to without having to pay to park? Or can you take mass transit there? Any highschool tracks around? Larger parking garages can be good in the bad weather. Though most are concrete so keep the mileage shorter and you'll probably want to wait until they're empty (nighttime) so you're not breathing noxious amounts of CO2.

And you can be a great runner being 200+ pounds, though it does depend somewhat on your goals and expectations. You very likely won't get back to you HS days if you're near 30 years old, or beyond. It would take a LOT of work to do so. Look for local running clubs, too. Experienced runners almost always can offer good advice and local knowledge on where to run. Anybody who runs, IMO, is a 'good' runner.

Also, try to learn to enjoy running. I know, that may sound a bit masochistic; but at times, try to forget about achieving a certain time or reaching some distance. It's good to do at times, sure. However it is also good to make those secondary or tertiary goals, at times, too. Focus on getting into that 'zone', where you're in tune with your breathing, your pace and you feel as comfortable as one can feel while running (almost meditative). See how long you can hold that, because that is when you pay the least attention to things like time and/or distance. Over time, the more you run, the more you get used to being in that state, and you will naturally be able to increase distance, and your speed will increase some, too. You will also get a little faster as you shed some pounds. Focus on the moment and that area 3 feet in front of you and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 PM

I've been running on asphalt for over 25 years. Never run with lightweight shoes. Those are for runners who float on air. I like heavy shoes. Injury proof shoes. Also rotate your shoes. Never run on the same pair for two consecutive days.
If you run in the rain, remove the insoles after running. Put crumbled up newspapers into the shoes.
Asics are good shoes. I've been using Saucony lately.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I am close to 35. And I have size 14 feet, so recommendations for bigger feet have been helpful too.

I finally set and measured one route (which I'll change if I settle on the median or maybe laps in a park), and after a week and a half here's my performance today:
1 mile in 9:15. walk a quarter. .75 miles in 8:00. walk a quarter. .5 miles in 6:00. and then another almost half at the slowest pace again.

my goal would be to run 3 to 5 six minute miles by next summer--just to make something up. none of what I ran today felt extremely uncomfortable. I definitely appreciate the advice about getting into the experience. The thing with running for me was when I first tried to take up regular running (to make the soccer team (which I didn't)) in 8th grade and again in high school later, I got such debilitatingly sharp pains under the left edge of my ribs (I assume that's lactic acid) that I couldn't bear to keep it up. Now I don't have that problem at all, and I am able to enjoy it--when pushing early, when grinding it out at the end.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 AM

That sharp pain under your ribs was most likely a cramp. Usually they are caused by running too fast, improper form, improper breathing, excess liquids in your stomach etc. Lactic acid is that grand piano that gets strapped on your back.