Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 09:18 AM

Default Re: 33s: Early multiway pot with AK; flop TPTK

[ QUOTE ]
No Flush or Straight Draws would call your all-in.. You are ahead against most hands.
The only Hands that beat you are Pocket 5's or Pocket 4's or AA ( which is unlikely, since there is no re-raise ).
I'd bet about 1000 Chips here to see where you are at. If someone pushes you still got enough chips left to do a tough laydown. I think pushin is not right here, because it won't make the weaker hands call you. You are probably ahead, so try to make the most out of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets my vote for post of the day! You'd put in half your stack and then fold to a push getting 3-1!? When precisely 4 hands beat you (with only 44 and 55 being likely). It's not like you won't get a push from KQ/KJ etc. I really hope you don't make a habit of putting in half your stack then folding like that unless you like going busto.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:46 AM

anyone dislikes this pf raise?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would raise t200 it doesn;t really matter though.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 AM

Gotta push. Pot is huge and you still have enough to punish straight draws. You can't play in fear of 44/55/45 here. If they called with these hands pf then good for them. More often than not you're adding t1350 to your stack and sometimes getting paid off with worse hands.

-SonnyJay
Old 08-14-2006, 10:09 AM

I dunno, I've actually found that I end up making more by betting like 700-800 here and then sticking it in on the turn no matter what. I can't count the number of times people call that 700 bet with some gay hand like 76 or KJ and then fold the turn in the former case and call the latter (where they may not have called a flop shove).
Old 08-14-2006, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No Flush or Straight Draws would call your all-in.. You are ahead against most hands.
The only Hands that beat you are Pocket 5's or Pocket 4's or AA ( which is unlikely, since there is no re-raise ).
I'd bet about 1000 Chips here to see where you are at. If someone pushes you still got enough chips left to do a tough laydown. I think pushin is not right here, because it won't make the weaker hands call you. You are probably ahead, so try to make the most out of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true that you'll force out worse hands with a push, but you have to weigh that against the fact that you went to the flop with 5 opponents. The pot is huge in relation to your stack and the chance to simply take it down and not let 5 guys catch up to you is worth way more than hoping that someone calls our "feeler bet" with 99 or something like that. And you suggest betting t1000 instead of pushing...are you really getting a different result? Is a guy going to call off half his stack for t1000 that won't call off the whole thing for t1750?

Also, betting t1000 and folding to a push for t750 more is suicide. You have huge odds and don't need to be ahead all that often.

-SonnyJay
Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, I've actually found that I end up making more by betting like 700-800 here and then sticking it in on the turn no matter what. I can't count the number of times people call that 700 bet with some gay hand like 76 or KJ and then fold the turn in the former case and call the latter (where they may not have called a flop shove).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? That's interesting. Not to suggest that the average player at the $33s is a rocket scientist, but I would think that there's plenty that would realize that the t700-t800 follow up in a 5-way pot means that the chips are going in.

I don't think it's a bad play, as long as you're committed to calling a raise on the flop or sticking it in on the turn regardless of what falls. Obviously, I like this a lot more than what I was responding to before (the "bet t450/fold" and "bet t1000/fold" options).

-SonnyJay
Old 08-14-2006, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? That's interesting. Not to suggest that the average player at the $33s is a rocket scientist, but I would think that there's plenty that would realize that the t700-t800 follow up in a 5-way pot means that the chips are going in.

I don't think it's a bad play, as long as you're committed to calling a raise on the flop or sticking it in on the turn regardless of what falls. Obviously, I like this a lot more than what I was responding to before (the "bet t450/fold" and "bet t1000/fold" options).

-SonnyJay

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed a lot of ppl on this board feel this way. Let me give you an example from yesterday:

I'm in the BB with AK (30/60 I think.) CO raises PF and I just call. Flop comes K83 rainbow (or something close to this.) I check, he bets about 200. There's now about 600 in the pot and I know half the ppl. on this board would just push. Instead, I raise to 650. He comes over the top all-in and I insta-call. He's got Q6 and no pair.

I know this is a different situation than the one in this thread, but the moral of the story is the same. Denying someone the opportunity to come over the top of you with a hand they would never call a push with is denying someone their basic rights as a donkey.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have made it t150 to go, the pot has just got really bloated and, as has been shown here it still didn't make 55 or whatever fold, so it was totally pointless.