Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 AM

Default The dealer said I couldn\'t do it

$5-$150 spread-limit. I raise to $15 from EP with KK, only five callers. Flop comes JJ5 rainbow. I continue for $35. All fold to button, a guy far too young to have a hearing impediment, who asks the dealer "How much?" then to me "Why so little?" and after thinking about it, just calls. So I pretty much know he has at least a Jack at that point.

I check the non-king turn. He immediately goes to bet, but only $25 and turns into a swarthy version of Jamie Gold, trying to talk me into calling. I've been running very bad, and it's been making me a little tilty, so I decide I can't give up on my Kings, even though every time he opens his mouth I'm more sure of my read.

River is a non-king blank, I check. He quickly bets $35. I start questioning my read, and tell myself I'm getting great pot odds. He gets impatient and flashes me one card, a five. As soon as I see it I turbo-muck, and he's too proud of his cleverness to muck and tables his pocket fives for the flopped underfull. As I replay the hand I realize that even though I probably had the implied odds for $25 (given I unknowingly had 4 outs) there was a much, much better strategy I could have used.

About twenty hands later I get KK UTG. This time I limp, hoping for the ol-limp reraise to keep me from any nasty post flop decisions. No chance this time, as only eight limpers accompany me to the flop. Flop is 669. Checked to me and I make the mistake of betting the pot ($40) (obv. a checkraise is much better). All fold to same guy in LP, who silently calls and we are headsup again.

I think, hey he's keeping his mouth shut this time, I might actually have the best hand. I check the blank turn for pot control. He quickly bets $25 again and as my radar starts pinging starts to talk again, "here kitty, kitty" he says, laughing. So he's at least got a six. This time, I decide to try the other strategy. I remove my chip from my cards and make a show of being about to fold, and tell Senor Gold the most I can call is $10. He immediately pulls back $15 of his bet, and I call.

The table erupts. "Can he do that?" "He can't do that!". They all look to the dealer, who says, "I don't think you can do that". I tell the dealer confidently "We are headsup, we can do what we want, and (waving at the table) it's none of their business". Jesus Gold tells the dealer just to finish dealing the hand, the dealer shrugs and produces a non king completing a flush draw.

I check and ready my cards for a fold. He says "I know you hit your flush" and turns over his 76o. Was my play legal?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: The dealer said I couldn\'t do it

I would not allow it. But then, I don't deal NL in cardrooms. It seems to open such a can of worms, though, I can't imagine any good coming from it.

In my various home games, sometimes someone will say, "I'll fold to your $20, but call $5 for the rest of the hand." I think this is ridiculous and would never offer it (let alone accept it), and it's somewhat sketchy, but it is a home game after all.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 PM

Many rooms will not allow this.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:50 PM

No way this would be allowed in 5% of the pokerrooms.

I actually tried it at the casears palace in LV, didnt work [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Cat, you know as well as I do, guys like this are GREAT for the 5/150 game. Please continue to encourage him! This is the same type of guy I fight to allow to buy-in for a rack of green if he wants to.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 PM

I'm not sure about your play. It depends on exactly how you "readied your cards for a fold." But I definitely would not have allowed him to pull back part of his bet.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cat, you know as well as I do, guys like this are GREAT for the 5/150 game. Please continue to encourage him! This is the same type of guy I fight to allow to buy-in for a rack of green if he wants to.

[/ QUOTE ]

-$6,500 since mid October says that I am good for the game
Old 11-10-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about your play. It depends on exactly how you "readied your cards for a fold." But I definitely would not have allowed him to pull back part of his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just removed my chip and held my cards as if I were planning to muck. I made no motion to muck. I await RR's definitive statement, which I hope to vindicate my actions.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-$6,500 since mid October says that I am good for the game

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
About twenty hands later I get KK UTG. This time I limp, hoping for the ol-limp reraise to keep me from any nasty post flop decisions. No chance this time, as only eight limpers accompany me to the flop. Flop is 669. Checked to me and I make the mistake of betting the pot ($40) (obv. a checkraise is much better).

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of thinking might lead to it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. With 8 players in the pot, the idea is to keep the pot small by checking. You can probably call a small bet to hope to get a K for implied odds, but I'd probably dump it otherwise.

But to get back to the main point, no the villain is not allowed to offer you a "discount".

Garland
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just removed my chip and held my cards as if I were planning to muck. I made no motion to muck. I await RR's definitive statement, which I hope to vindicate my actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's heads up, the dealer should mind his own business. That is the poker answer; if there is any sort of regulation they might have an issue with it.

edit to add: Given enough time I might be able to list all the floormen that would allow this play.