Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then buy it yourself. Or get together with a bunch of people who agree with you and buy it together. Otherwise you're just waving guns around and imposing your personal preferences through violence. It's pretty non controversial for the Grand Canyon (which is why it'll never be a landfill under AC) but the same reasoning applies to all sorts of unsavoury things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. This is what I call a "democracy of dollars" and I don't see how it is any more defendable from a theoretic standpoint than a "democracy of votes". I prefer any method besides violence for imposing my preferences, but sometimes in life things come to violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for you, "sometimes" = "when I don't get my way."

[/ QUOTE ]

False.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right, we should convince people (by any means necessary) that we must change our form of government. I thnk we are in agreement on that. We should then establish a form of government with whatever safegaurds we find reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we need the same form of government?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something about "change the form of government" that was misleading?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right, we should convince people (by any means necessary) that we must change our form of government. I thnk we are in agreement on that. We should then establish a form of government with whatever safegaurds we find reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we need the same form of government?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something about "change the form of government" that was misleading?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but "we should establish a form of government" sure sounds like you're saying you think there is some reason that you and I must have the same government. What is that reason?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Then buy it yourself. Or get together with a bunch of people who agree with you and buy it together. Otherwise you're just waving guns around and imposing your personal preferences through violence. It's pretty non controversial for the Grand Canyon (which is why it'll never be a landfill under AC) but the same reasoning applies to all sorts of unsavoury things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. This is what I call a "democracy of dollars" and I don't see how it is any more defendable from a theoretic standpoint than a "democracy of votes". I prefer any method besides violence for imposing my preferences, but sometimes in life things come to violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

And for you, "sometimes" = "when I don't get my way."

[/ QUOTE ]

False.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so then you must have some objective standard.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very clear demarcation between the two. A "democracy of dollars", between voluntary participants hands out explicit benefits and costs only between those that want to participate. A "democracy of votes", by its very nature and design, hands out explicit costs (and benefits too, but I'm a libertarian so nyah nyah) to people that do not voluntarily agree. That seems that a huge moral point to me, not you?