Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:20 PM

Default It\'s my pot, hee, hee, and I can raise if I want to

Might have some minor details wrong, this is from two days ago. Unknown raises from MP in aggressive CAZ 20-40 game, I three bet JJ on button. Headsup to a A62r flop. He thinks for a moment and I am convinced he hates this flop. He bets I raise. He makes a crying call. Turn 8 completes rainbow. He checks I bet, he again thinks but finally calls. River pairs 8, he checks, I check. Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: It\'s my pot, hee, hee, and I can raise if I want to

If your read is that he hates the flop, you should bet the river, because he's more likely to have a smaller pair than a larger one and might call again.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:00 PM

Very generally speaking, against an unknown, once he calls your flop raise he's going to showdown and it looks like he's got your JJ beat. I'd check the turn and river.

Alternate scenario: He flopped top set, bet out and once you raise he figures that he'll let you hang yourself and wants to c/r the river on you. It's something I might try.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM

My standard play here is to use the WA/WB line and just call down (betting if checked to) - by raising the flop you let him off the hook too early if he's got a smaller PP.

Against a more thinking opponent, I like raising the flop because he should figure that you are less likely to have an A here when you raise (smooth calling the flop might actually shut down your action). In this case, though, I think you have a river bet since he's going to be compelled to pay you off with his PP.

This is all assuming that you trust your read, of course. If you think there's a decent chance that he does have an A, then your line is probably best.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might have some minor details wrong, this is from two days ago. Unknown raises from MP in aggressive CAZ 20-40 game, I three bet JJ on button. Headsup to a A62r flop. He thinks for a moment and I am convinced he hates this flop. He bets I raise. He makes a crying call. Turn 8 completes rainbow. He checks I bet, he again thinks but finally calls. River pairs 8, he checks, I check. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies. I forgot a major detail (my fault for waiting so long to post). He capped preflop after my 3-bet. Given that information, now how do you play it?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:22 PM

do you think he has the impression that you would raise the flop with AK/AQ? If so its good. A lot of people never raise the flop there and often wait til the turn and if you do that usually then raising is spew.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM

I bet this river and I don't even really think about it.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:51 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies. I forgot a major detail (my fault for waiting so long to post). He capped preflop after my 3-bet. Given that information, now how do you play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, this is a major detail. I don't think he calls you with a hand that you beat. I am sure he has KK or QQ. He's pissed off about the Ace but if he calls your turn bet then he aint going anywhere on the river.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Anyone fold flop?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he calls you with a hand that you beat. I am sure he has KK or QQ. He's pissed off about the Ace but if he calls your turn bet then he aint going anywhere on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]Bingo.