Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: 3 and 6 with ian j

[ QUOTE ]
I will never understand limit if people are actually saying that villain will not bet turn here with AK(and is his most likely hand) and some even advocate folding QQ here.
Seems like this would even be easy valuetown with QJ on the river. Just wondering if c/r c/c or lead is the best line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with understanding limit and everything to do with reading hands. What do you think is his 3 betting range preflop from early position? I'd say 99+, AQ+. If you include AJ, KQs, and 88 then it gets a bit closer, but not only does he have to hold those hands, he has to pay off with them for a bet to be correct.

And yes I know I already said bet in this thread but I've decided I suck at limit and am rusty from playing 30k hands of no limit in the last month and was wrong.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-05-2007, 01:14 AM

didnt read carefully but i hope and assume youre explaining to people why c/c is the best play and it's only a little better than c/f.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I will never understand limit if people are actually saying that villain will not bet turn here with AK(and is his most likely hand) and some even advocate folding QQ here.
Seems like this would even be easy valuetown with QJ on the river. Just wondering if c/r c/c or lead is the best line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with understanding limit and everything to do with reading hands. What do you think is his 3 betting range preflop from early position? I'd say 99+, AQ+. If you include AJ, KQs, and 88 then it gets a bit closer, but not only does he have to hold those hands, he has to pay off with them for a bet to be correct.

And yes I know I already said bet in this thread but I've decided I suck at limit and am rusty from playing 30k hands of no limit in the last month and was wrong.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno about his preflop ranges but after he checks turn I'm never folding anymore.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM

He clearly has pocket jacks. C/F river.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 PM

I think this river is close and it really doesn't matter what you do as long as raising or paying off a raise isn't involved.

When he checked the turn, I pretty much auto-fired the river which as soon as my chips hit the felt I regretted. This wasn't some donkey-fest or even $100/200 raise under the gun, nor was it a 6 handed table. I know I'm making a big deal of this, but I really think people are often in the 6 handed/short handed mindset (myself included) and it's a lot different of a texture. I mean, he probably 3 bets AJ suited but even that is a mistake compared to my range there in my opinion. Am I hoping that's what he has or that somehow he's going to pay off with 88? I guess, maybe, and it allows us to not have to show our hand, but he'd find out what I had later anyhow as we discuss hands. It also feels/seems weak not to bet and people might pick up on that and put more appropriate pressure on me and that's obviously not wanted...so I can definitely see reason to bet, but there's just not a ton of actual value in it.

Now if I checked, it really comes down to feel. I really doubt I would have actually folded at the table cause I just don't try to make folds like that but I actually think folding is completely reasonable, if not the best play. Ian takes a lot more/different lines than most yet I feel his actual range of hands there is pretty small (pre-flop).

Calling the river is obviously good because if he was getting frisky he almost has to fire the river and calling him catches him at that and gets to showdown which is almost always good.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:44 AM

c/f looks good to me. would he really try to bluff river after checking the turn? he must think you're c/c'ing the river like 99% of the time after the turn goes checkcheck. which is what he wants.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/f looks good to me. would he really try to bluff river after checking the turn? he must think you're c/c'ing the river like 99% of the time after the turn goes checkcheck. which is what he wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about when he valuebets QJ/AJ on the river?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He clearly has pocket jacks. C/F river.

[/ QUOTE ]

True forgot about the check turn back with boat and then raise all-in on the river when opponent bets -play. That would be the most profitable line for villain.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM

this hand is played perfectly on the streets you showed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

that said, i think he has AK here a lot on the river, probably more than any other hand. but if you are calling a bet, you should bet to try and fold out the other QQ.

edit: in most internet games this is an autobet on the river. in this live game i think it's a check fold. this is probably never a correct spot to check-call
Old 06-12-2007, 06:12 AM

is this ever KK?