Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Duplicate Online Texas Hold em - legal in the US

Thoughts on this?

Duplicate online poker legal in the US

[ QUOTE ]
Our games eliminate the "luck of the draw" element from poker. As a result the elements of skill predominate in determining winners in our Duplicate Poker games. We have taken the principles of duplicate bridge and applied them to popular poker games, like Texas Hold'Em Click here to find out more about Duplicate Poker. By eliminating this luck element we have greatly increased the skill elements. This makes playing our poker games more fair and more mentally challenging.

Games that are predominately skill-based are legal in most U.S. jurisdictions. There are a few states within the U.S. that have not yet permitted skill-based games to be played for cash or prizes. For those states, e-PokerUSA only allows its games to be played on a play-money basis and you cannot win cash or prizes except in freerolls that we may offer from time to time

[/ QUOTE ]

Rules

[ QUOTE ]

e-PokerUSA Duplicate Poker involves play of pot-limit and no-limit Texas hold'em under the general rules governing that game, except each deal is duplicated at the table in play, enabling players at other tables to play the same hands under the same conditions. Here are the main characteristics of duplicate poker:

First, there are always two or more tables of players, with the same number of players seated at each table.
Second, an identically ordered deck of cards is used at each table for each deal, so that players in the same seat position at each table receive the same hole cards, and the board cards are the same at each table.
Third, every player begins each deal with the same number of playing chips, regardless of how he or she may have done in any previous deal.
Fourth, the player's score for each deal is based on the net number of chips he or she has at the end of that deal as compared with the number of chips the player had at the start of that deal.
Fifth, the player's score for a session (set series of deals) is whatever the net plus or minus result is for that player on all of the deals played in that session.
Sixth, a player's outcome for a session is determined by that player's ranking compared to each of the other players in his or her same seat position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Duplicate Online Texas Hold em - legal in the US

Problem is wouldnt cheating be unbelievably profitable in this game? At least thats how it seems offhand, and also seems like it'd be nearly impossible to catch.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Seeing as online Texas Hold'em is legal in the US, then yes, I imagine online Duplicate Texas Hold'em is legal as well.

IIRC, the consensus was that they rake the games to much to be able to have any edge, but I'm going from memory and can't remember any numbers.

$0.02
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 PM

A multi-tabling HUD bot's dream.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:05 PM

My thoughts on this are that it would not be a very lucrative game, and that it would be lot less fun to play. Thats a guess tho, as I have only watched it played a few times.

Legally its brilliant, the "chance" aspect is pretty much completely removed (unless you consider your opponents and their actions chance - please dont do that).
Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 PM

I'd rather eat worms.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seeing as online Texas Hold'em is legal in the US, then yes, I imagine online Duplicate Texas Hold'em is legal as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please site the supporting case law?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that there is not a case law that says it's illegal, therefore we are assuming it is legal?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please cite the supporting case law making chewing bubble-gum legal?

Snide remarks aside, several states do have laws making it illegal, but there is no law at the federal level making online poker illegal.

It is legal in the US, left to states to regulate as they see fit.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 PM

Shameless plug, but I blogged about it.