Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Hilm\'s preflop calls

I was watching the WSOP ME on ESPN with hole cards. Yang raises 10xBB with 88 and Hilm calls with KQo. Flop comes AT8, Yang cbets, Hilm calls with the gutshot and a float, probably putting Yang on a pp. Yang pushes the turn for more than pot and Hilm folds.

Another hand, Yang raises 4xBB with AKo and Hilm calls in the SB with 85s. They get allin with TPTK versus pair and flush draw, and Yang busts Hilm.

I think Hilm played both hands OK postflop, but I question the preflop calls. Just because someone is playing LAG doesn't mean you should make loose calls of big preflop raises. I suppose Hilm thought he could outplay Yang, but I would look for better spots.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Hilm\'s preflop calls

betgo you never cease to amaze me
Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching the WSOP ME on ESPN with hole cards. Yang raises 10xBB with 88 and Hilm calls with KQo. Flop comes AT8, Yang cbets, Hilm calls with the gutshot and a float, probably putting Yang on a pp. Yang pushes the turn for more than pot and Hilm folds.

Another hand, Yang raises 4xBB with AKo and Hilm calls in the SB with 85s. They get allin with TPTK versus pair and flush draw, and Yang busts Hilm.

I think Hilm played both hands OK postflop, but I question the preflop calls. Just because someone is playing LAG doesn't mean you should make loose calls of big preflop raises. I suppose Hilm thought he could outplay Yang, but I would look for better spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was Yang's pf "big raise" tendencies? TV implied that he was doing that a lot which might have effected everyone else to stand up to him. I dunno, but it seems like Yang might have taken a page out of Gold's Big Stack book once he got there . . .
Old 10-15-2007, 02:33 PM

I saw it live, and he was raising a lot of hands, often, but not always large. The 10xBB was unusual.

If someone is stealing blinds with overbets, I don't see any point in standing up to him by calling light.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:47 PM

i like the KQ play but the 85s one sucks
Old 10-15-2007, 03:00 PM

he was raising anywhere from 5-10xBB with regularity. he was opening like something around 30% of the pots when they were still 8 and 9 handed and he started playing super aggro shorthanded.

and how is the KQ play good? wtf? he flat calls 10xBB OOP with KQ, then check-calls a pot sized bet w/ a gutterball?

he completely melted down in both pots. should have folded both preflop.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he was raising anywhere from 5-10xBB with regularity. he was opening like something around 30% of the pots when they were still 8 and 9 handed and he started playing super aggro shorthanded.

and how is the KQ play good? wtf? he flat calls 10xBB OOP with KQ, then check-calls a pot sized bet w/ a gutterball?

he completely melted down in both pots. should have folded both preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The KQ hand, it was a raise to 2.5M and a 3M cbet.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Sounds similar to an old $11 Party SNG, but for $7 million. I hate to say it, but, LOL donkaments.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so he called about 10% of his stack preflop, then 3m of about 22m roughly (i think he had somewhere around 25-26m to start table?) with a gutterball, then a check/fold.

yeah, vwp.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so he called about 10% of his stack preflop, then 3m of about 22m roughly (i think he had somewhere around 25-26m to start table?) with a gutterball, then a check/fold.

yeah, vwp.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like the preflop play, but he could have been planning on betting if Yang checked the turn, representing an ace. I probably would fold the flop if I got that far.