Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Psych wants to prescribe Wellbutrin

Wellbutrin works by inhibiting the uptake of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. Most other anti-depressants work on serotonin. Classic SSRI's tend to have some sexual side effects like an inability to have an orgasm(yeah that sucks).

Wellbutrin does not have this side effect (thank goodness). Everyone's pharmacology is a bit different so your psych probably has a reason for using it.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:48 PM

I had a very poor experience on Wellbutrin that was prescribed to me for ADD/depression 4-5 years ago. Many of my friends reported I seemed slower, and it made it very hard to multitask. It didn't alleviate my depression to any significant degree.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:48 PM

I currently take a relatively massive dose (600 mg a day) but have decided the risks of seizure are outweighed by the benefits which admittedly still fall short of what one could expect from taking a SSRI anti-depressant. Unlike SSRIs it affects dopamine to a lesser degree and primarily norepinephrine. I can't take SSRIs due to having taken 2500 hits of X in a three year period. It is very speedy (as compared to anything other than adderall, ritalin or desoxyn) and makes you sweat a bit. I think it is a pretty rare case to be a first choice over SSRIs. I wish I could take SSRIs but my seratonin system is too damaged from all the drug abuse in the early 2000s.

If you have good reason not to take an SSRI, I think it a good first line drug for depression; otherwise I think better choices exist in most cases.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Made me want to smoke alot though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Odd, I thought it was prescribed to quit smoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, that was weird. It actually has the opposite effect on me.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 PM

I have been on it for about 18 months. Previously I've taken Paxil and Zoloft, and I wouldn't go back to them for anything.

It is NOT prescribed for anxiety. It is formulated to give you an energy boost, which is great if you have depression but not anxiety...it makes anxiety worse.

One thing, it's an appetite suppressant. When they were messing around with my dosage, sometimes I'd forget to eat. It also gives me a nervous stomach for a few days when they change the dosage, but then again, I'm someone that pretty much always has a sensitive stomach anyway.

In terms of mood, this is far more effective for me with fewer side effects than anything else has been. And yes, I also use other forms of treatment. The difference is that thanks to the assistance of the meds, I am able to function enough to GO TO THE THERAPIST, and also do the other things to manage my illness: exercise, eat healthfully, get enough sleep.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 AM

I took Effexor XR for about a year and found that I had become very demotivated and wasn't interested in doing too much. I really wanted to start getting to the gym, but I was having trouble finding the motivation to go. I basically wanted to start turning my life around.

My psychiatrist recommended that I add Wellbutrin to the mix. It was for that energy boost. I don't really remember too much about what it did to me, but it did help me to start thinking more clearly and logical. I slowly started to want to do more things, although I never did start going to the gym.

Finally, one day about 3 months after starting Wellbutrin I decided I was going to snap out of it and move on with my life and end my depression. I got off of Wellbutrin first without any side effects. Coming off of Effexor XR was a different story.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it gave me panic attacks (couldn't play cards at all) i'm currently on lexapro, working much better for me

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried it to quit smoking. I ended up w/ a nice ambulance ride to the ER w/ the hugest panic attack imaginable. Right in the middle of a winning session at CAZ.

I'm going to ask my doc for that new quit smoking drug Chantix.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:53 AM

I was on a Wellbutrin/Selexa cocktail for two years due to a previous extended period of deep depression. It made me somewhat numb emotionally, which gave me an opportunity to re-assess my life and make some needed adjustments. I've been off for four months now, with no return of symptoms. It was easily the best experience I've had with medication.