Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!
Default Health Insurance For A Poker Player

Mods: Please move to proper forum if this is not posted in the correct place.

I'm relatively young, in my early-mid twenties, and play poker professionally. I am now in a situation where I have to provide for my own health insurance. Curious to hear about what other poker players are using, particularly the younger ones. The more details the better!

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Health Insurance For A Poker Player

Get the BLUE CROSS CASTASTROPHE insurance that will cover you on major, major medical issues.......it will cost you less than $40 a month at your age if you take a 10,000 deductible.

This will protect you from a huge financial loss........which is all you need if your in good health.

Hell, I'm pushing 50 and only pay $46 a month here in Florida for the coverage...............have had this plan for 6-7 years now.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:11 AM

Catastrophic type health insurance is a great idea for a healthy young guy like yourself.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:49 AM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!

Excellent. So catastrophic insurance with a $10k deductible means I basically pay for all doctor visits I might have to make in full (I probably get sick enough to go to a doctor about every 7 years) except when the cost gets above $10,000? If this is correct, I think that's just about what I need.

Any particular places to shop around for this type of insurance? I typed "Blue Cross" and "catastrophe insurance" into Google and didn't really get any specific links.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 AM

Ya basically you pay up to 10k out of pocket. I had this type of insurance b4 I got married but I cant seem to remember the company it was with. Does assurant sound right?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:35 AM

Check out the BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD website..........you should find the details there.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 AM

If you're gonna get a catastrophic insurance with a huge deductible, you're might as well get an HSA-eligible health premium.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 AM

insuring for events that you cannot pay for is really the only insurance i would get.
they include health, house, liability.
unless you think you are high risk then it may be a good bet in other circumstances.
seems best to have a very high deductable policy to cover you if something big happens.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 AM

Location: I\'m supposed to write something funny here, right?

I'm an independent web developer and get my insurance through "Golden Rule". It could be a decent alternatively if you wanted a little bit more. I pay about $100 per month, have a $2500 deductable, get some dental/eye coverage, and get like a 50% discount on doctors visits and medicine. (the discount varries doc to doc, medicine to medicine)

If you are as healthy as you say, this is probably not the route to go. But if you go to the dentist twice a year, have eye glasses, and go to the doc once a year, this is a good plan.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:59 AM

I dont really know much about it, cause insurance is the kind of stuff I hate dealing with, but I am covered and I do pay for it myself. Catastrophic something-or-other sounds about right.