Moran 40 39.22%
Jerk 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: The Official NBA Regular Season 07-08 Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously though....NBA?

[/ QUOTE ]
What is this? You're the guy who spams the NBA threads at 4AM Eastern time all season. Too cool for school now?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense but have you ever seen Marion play? The reasons he is awesome has virtually nothing to do with Nash, aside from a couple of ally-oops/game.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is correct. BTW Diaw/Marion have some pretty regular hookups.

Nash definitely gives Marion some sweet feeds as he does everyone else, but most of Marion's scoring comes from 1) goofy-looking perimeter shots, which aren't set up by Nash any more than anyone else on the team, 2) one-on-one drives to the hoop, and 3) cleaning up off the glass. None of those require MVSteve to be effective. It's Stoudemire that IMO works with Nash and relies on him much heavier to get his 26 PPG.

While players have a history of leaving teams with a great PG only to flounder with their new team - Jason Kidd and Magic Johnson made a lot of free agents a lot of money elsewhere - I doubt that's the case with Marion. That said, I don't think he's remotely worth the $20M he seems to be asking for, unless the market makes an unlikely surge in the next year.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nash definitely gives Marion some sweet feeds as he does everyone else, but most of Marion's scoring comes from 1) goofy-looking perimeter shots, which aren't set up by Nash any more than anyone else on the team, 2) one-on-one drives to the hoop, and 3) cleaning up off the glass. None of those require MVSteve to be effective. It's Stoudemire that IMO works with Nash and relies on him much heavier to get his 26 PPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree, and he cleans the glass better than anyone on the team.

tuq,

Is Marion a role player right now b/c of the team he is on? Would he be a premiere player on most other teams? B/c I think he would.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

If Marion is your go-to-guy your team is probably in trouble. He'd still be really good and probably load up the stat sheet, but I think he'd be much less efficient and the team would be a stinker.

And there's the rub, the only teams he can go to and be the top dawg are bad teams. If he goes to UTAH in an AK swap, he'll probably get a bit more attention, but they're still just going to pick and roll Deron and Boozer all day. He'd go straight back to whining.

If he really wanted to be top dawg on a team that could surprise some teams, he should push to go the Bobcats, Griz, or the Hornets.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq,

Is Marion a role player right now b/c of the team he is on? Would he be a premiere player on most other teams? B/c I think he would.

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly have no clue. I'm inclined to say no, actually. He's generally been surrounded by talent like Starbury, Nash, Stoudemire, et al, so there's no precedent for how he's performed. Drop him on a crappy team and I have no idea how that would turn out.

Anyway, the most obvious statistic supporting the "Nash doesn't make him better" argument is that his statistics have been virtually the same his whole career, whether the team was good or bad, whether Nashty was around or not. He admirably filled the hole with higher scoring and rebounding the year that Stoudemire was out, other than that he's been eerily consistent.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM

kidcolin,

Did Marion have sex w/ your girlfriend?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he really wanted to be top dawg on a team that could surprise some teams, he should push to go the Bobcats, Griz, or the Hornets.

[/ QUOTE ]
He'd play 2nd fiddle to Gerald on the 'cats, Pau on the Griz, and Paul on the Hornets.

Fact is he's a fringe all star and does some things that are NOT easy to find (unlike a pure shooter, he defends great + other stuff) so has alot of value. But, he's not Nash or Amare...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kidcolin,

Did Marion have sex w/ your girlfriend?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who hasn't?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Btw...ClassicBob,

[ QUOTE ]
Will the *Spurs repeat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well written and deserves attention--I know at least Pho fans will agree.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:36 PM

I just thought he was trying to add a little spur logo to Spurs. I'm going to keep thinking that. Giddyup.

tdarko, tuq,

I'm not hating on him. He's awesome. He's just not a great first option on the offensive end. I doubt he's boned my girlfriend, cuz she hasn't existed for a good 6 years now.

Bobbo,

Disagree with the Gerald/Paul thing. Neither one of them are stars on the Nash/Amare level, nor are their games very star-centric. He'd share the spotlight, sure, but he'd have a pretty even standing with them, unlike his current 3rd man on the totem poll situation.