Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Our most cherished character flaw?

Recent debates in real life, coupled with reading Pinker's newest book, got me to thinking. What is our most cherished character flaw? And of course, what is the most cherished complementary positive attribute that goes along with it? The context of this question is this: What binary set of attributes, if ever explained wholly in genetic or developmental terms, would be the most damaging to our society?

Ignore a few (major) problems with this premise, like the idea that any traits are ever wholly genetic or environmental, and treat it as a hypothetical. We have some concept of the backlash against the research into the genetic nature of violence, addiction, and other traits. But if I was to guess which would be the most damaging, I would say 'laziness.' We accept that some people are naturally gifted athletes, naturall intelligent, naturally gifted pianists or painters. But our concerns are ameliorated because we all know that, with enough hard work, anyone can accomplish great things, and that even the most talented, if they are lazy, will be underachievers. But what if the 'hard workability' was just as much (and in this hypothetical, far more, ~100%) an innate trait as vertical leap or perfect pitch? Would the whole house of cards come falling down?