Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Dilemma: Experienced online player vs casual home game buds

I was in your shoes a few months ago. I am not exactly an A+ poker player(far from it actually), but out of my group of friends I am the best player. Hell, a couple times I have had to tell people they have a winning hand at showdown (they will have a "weird" straight v 2 pair or something). I started out winning most of the time and it got to the point where when I showed up they would joke and say "want us to just pay you now?"

So after I heard that, I just started bringing snacks and beverages each week with the winnings I won. At the same time, I try to improve their play. Some of them are really interested in becoming better so I try to tell them what they did wrong and why I played my hands the way I did.

I never realized how little the common person knows about poker(before I played a hand of poker with real money I read Theory of Poker, Hold'em for advanced players, and SSI). Just try to educate them without being rude about it, and be good company. I win about 80% of the time and yet they love having me.

Good luck, just remember they are your friends, don't call them donks!!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Most importantly, let your buddies set the stakes. Never suggest that they play higher stakes.

I also recommend playing without looking at your cards. This will tighten up your observation skills, since you are really just looking to pick up pots when everyone folds, etc. Just make sure that you pretend to look at your cards so no one knows what you are doing.

Go ahead and get drunk and try to play with less intensity, if possible. If you are still winning money, then use all of the winnings to buy beer for the next game.

Lastly, don't be a rules/procedure nit. I played in a recent home game with a bunch of friends who are relatively clueless about poker. We had the gamut from illegal raises (first guy bets $500, next guy raises to $600) to out of turn action, etc. Mostly harmless. My rule here is do not say anything unless someone else complains first.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 PM

One of my best friends is a complete donkey. He loves to play me headsup for $20.

I love to take his money. This kid is rediculously lucky though and draws out a lot, so it keeps it interesting. Last time we played, head's up lasted 3 hours. Then I took all his money.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:00 PM

I wouldn't throw games or start playing soft. Bring some treats to the next game like qa food tray or something like that. Remark if asked that its a good pratice for the winning player to bring the next nights munchies.

In time your friends will get better. They will end up discussing your play as they meet outside the game. Remember, the only way you can really improve your skill is to play against players that are better then you.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't throw games or start playing soft. Bring some treats to the next game like qa food tray or something like that Remark if asked that its a good pratice for the winning player to bring the next nights munchies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is crucial. It could be taken as arrogant if you start buying food and stuff, implying you are crushing the game so hard that you have to bring stuff to keep them happy. Perhaps it's because I know the intention, but I think most can figure it out as well. Which is why I wouldn't do this.

I agree with the suggestion that you shouldn't look to maximize your EV at every opportunity. Just have fun, have a drink, draw to whatever 4-outter you have and try to experiment with your playing style. I'd advise against anything that will imply you are better than them or that you don't care about the money (buying stuff, letting them know you are playing blind, going all-in dark). Anything that comes across as arrogant actually.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm in this same situation with my hometown friends. We all played a lot in high school. We would frequently have 2 or 3 tables running ever Friday and Saturday night, and played a lot after school. At that time, I was the most successful player in the group, and I made just under 2k playing $10 BI games over 2 years. However I was the only one who continued to play after high school, and I play a lot now (1/2nl and 2/4nl are my bread and butter). I have improved ten-fold since high school, and everyone else has done the opposite. When we get together now, it's really not even a contest. Some people just say they should give me their money before the game, and I've had some of my best friends get pissed at me and go through 6 or 7 $10 or $20 BI HU on multiple occasions (which is nothing to me but a lot to them), never wanting to lose to me and just tilting it away.

We normally start out with a cash game and later move to a tourney, and people have gotten mad when I ask for simple things like a chip count when someone moves AI or take 10 seconds to count the pot and figure my odds on an AI call. They think it's rude and take it personally, when I'm just trying to find out if I can call. Sometime I get yelled at after stacking someone with a better hand. I can't remember the last time I didn't get first or second in a SnG. I don't want to piss people off, but I certainly don't want to play bad poker and throw my money away. Luckily, we just end up getting drunk or high or both after and everyone forgets about it, but there is always some tension when I dominate the play.

In the past, I basically decided that I'll just let them bitch and moan, and everyone will forget about in time. However, recently I have started making 0 EV prop bets at the end of the night with anyone looking to get their money back, or agreeing to shove blind on the last hand of the night. It seems to make everyone happier (at least they get an even shot at their monies).
Old 08-03-2007, 06:41 AM

I am 17-18% VPIP over a buttload of hands over the past four years of online and its hard to program yourself to play looser.

But, in the home game what happens is that the game is very social and some funky hands get shown down and thus added to my game.

e.g.: One guy takes down a hudge pot with 93o and there is much hooting and hollaring. Next time I get 93o, I am coming in for a raise. etc.

-EV , yes but, keeps me from looking like a total nit with cobwebs on my chips.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 AM

I play at a pretty mixed table where there are maybe 2 or 3 other good players. What myself and one of them do is we have a rule between us where if you wake up with 72 you're more or less obliged to have a go with it. Its then considered a massive moral victory to bluff someone off a pot with it or to actually hit it.

Its has a side effect of making any board that comes with 77,22 or 7+2 as scary as a flushed board.