Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: I need a little life advice right now.

You should probably wait a week or two though before you make a final decision. See what happens after Bush signs, see what the sites really wind up doing. If Stars stays (and this is starting to seem like a legitimate possibility), leave school without a second thought.

If Stars leaves, we have to see how the games are at the sites that stay. Somebody like you will definitely still be able to make a living, but the amount of money you can make may no longer be enough to justify leaving school.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 AM

Just my advice: Take a full 'mimimal' class load at school, adjust your schedule accordingly. Have less of a college social life if you want to play more cards. But continue taking classes!

GL
Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
 is offline

Ansky--

Why can't you get your own apartment? Most people who make $800/hr can afford this.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ansky--

Why can't you get your own apartment? Most people who make $800/hr can afford this.

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no i can't live in CANADA if i'm not a full time student. I live here on a student visa. If i am not a student the visa is void. If the visa is void i am here illegally. I already live off campus, mcgill isn't the issue. Canadian immigration is.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM

so, its been months since i posted anything at all. but i still lurk with a passion, and have always appreciated your posts and thinking and sarcasm. both before and after you showed me exactly why i'm not a good poker player. and i think it only took one sentence.

however, i do have some experience with taking time off of school to pursue other interests. i believe that time off from school usually goes very well, or very poorly. In your case, noting that you've been spending your recent time in class zoning out and scratching your balls, I would usually recommend that you stay in school, and try to find that focus. However, since you have a specific plan as to what you want to do when you take time off, I would lean strongly in that direction.

You are 19 and a junior. You have plenty of time to finish school, and you don't seem like finishing school would be a struggle for you from an academic standpoint. But, if you're having motivational issues, then school will be disappointing to you. From personal experience, there isn't anything worse than trying to force yourself through school when you aren't committed to the idea. And that includes working for minimum wage, 60 hours a week, after dropping out for a while.

A lot of people are saying that getting a degree is a hugely important part of life, and becoming an adult, and all that stuff that people try to do around this time in life. I wholly believe this to be true. However, I do not believe that you need to rush yourself through the process. College is a wonderful experience socially and academically. There is no reason for you to not extract full enjoyment from it in both of these areas. I assume that you're studying something that is of interest to you. If for some reason, that isn't true at the moment, then take some time. When you want to go back to class, go back to class. Be comforted by the fact that there is something that you consider worthwhile that you can be doing while you aren't in class. Don't lose track of the fact that you want to be a student. Ask yourself if your goal at school is to graduate with a degree, or to prepare yourself for life after school.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:29 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky--

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no i can't live in CANADA if i'm not a full time student. I live here on a student visa. If i am not a student the visa is void. If the visa is void i am here illegally. I already live off campus, mcgill isn't the issue. Canadian immigration is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant in NYC.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 AM

Ansky,

Play it safe. I think you are probably better off adjusting your school sched around the current state of poker. Focus on classes if poker isnt an option, and if poker is in good shape then put classes on the back burner (cruise control) and put in some hours. I'd say you want to graduate on time and not make school even more tedious and long than it is.

Dont let money dictate your life. My long term goals dont include money or poker as a focus--I hope yours dont either. Get your degree, make some money, and then play me HU for bankroll and/or move on with your life.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
-Jason
Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my stupid prof is talking about neuro transmitters and action potentials, and I am scratching my balls all the while. I have no focus in school, I have no motivation or drive. wtf cmon.

[/ QUOTE ]

<<<<<<<<< sounds like you need more of this neurotransmitter around. and a couple others i guess too.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
 is offline

Strasser--

Can we get a trip report about your interview after winning $440K?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:46 AM

Ansky, by next week a lot of the casual fish will have already gone anyway. Stay in school for now, and take a wait and see attitude for the next month. I really think the initial shock is going to be the big one, and that's playing out this week and next.