Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: 7 People Arrested for Online Credit Processing

[ QUOTE ]
WOW, ok Roy

[ QUOTE ]

I guarantee these people would have been treated the same if they were illegally helping to fund poker sites only. The DOJ is not going to make a distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: Physician, heal thyself
[ QUOTE ]

This is nothin but speculation on your part.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: I rarely (if ever) get to say the above

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this such a stretch? At this point, the government is saying no transfers to gambling sites. There is no poker carveout. A bust is a bust. Be an intermediary to a gambling site of any kind, get busted. I don't see how anyone could think there would be any room for leeway on this.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Leap Frog/Coy Roy---------Get a room.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WOW, ok Roy

[ QUOTE ]

I guarantee these people would have been treated the same if they were illegally helping to fund poker sites only. The DOJ is not going to make a distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this such a stretch? At this point, the government is saying no transfers to gambling sites. There is no poker carveout. A bust is a bust. Be an intermediary to a gambling site of any kind, get busted. I don't see how anyone could think there would be any room for leeway on this.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not a stretch, but it IS speculation. The UIEGA covers UNLAWFUL gaming, and online poker has not been ruled illegal in all (or even many) states...but what do I know, I'm just a Canadian. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WOW, ok Roy

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

added
[ QUOTE ]

This is about the DOJ going after credit card merchants that enable funding of gambling sites. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See my 2nd edit (the middle quote was supposed to be included) -- also they are charged under the wire act which AFIK hasn't been applied to poker. Is there something in the wire act regarding falsifying cc charges or whatnot(IANAL)?

So is this primarily anti-cc gambling with 'the book' being thrown at them, or is it anti-sports gambling with 'the book' being thrown at them?

There is a difference. I don't know, but I'm not claiming that I do unlike some people.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:59 PM

So you're saying that even though they are laundering money, the gov won't bust them because it's going to poker sites and poker is not defined as of yet?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that even though they are laundering money, the gov won't bust them because it's going to poker sites and poker is not defined as of yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he's saying we don't KNOW where the money's going or what's going to happen.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is about the DOJ going after credit card merchants that enable funding of gambling sites. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slow down a bit. This is about the DOJ going after companies specifically set up to fraudulently launder credit card money. I doubt they're even making any distinction between gambling and non-gambling. This is a pretty textbook RICO case, and it seems to me that if the facts are reported correctly, they deserve to get hit by the full brunt of it. When DOJ goes after credit card processors who fund online gambling non-fraudulently, maybe I'll start worrying.

It will take more than UIGEA to make money laundering necessary for online gambling transactions. This is only a threat to half-assed operations -- these people weren't even smart enough to operate outside the US, for chrissake.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I want to know is if this represents a change in the status quo. Has anything changed since the Neteller busts or are we essentially seeing more of the same?
[ QUOTE ]

I hate to be an alarmist but this could possibly push a poker site teetering one way or the other to finally pull the plug on the US.

[/ QUOTE ]
Roy seems to be implying that this might scare the poker sites. If the Neteller case hasn't scared them off, why would this? I am honestly asking and looking for discussion here.

Also

[ QUOTE ]

It's not a stretch, but it IS speculation. The UIEGA covers UNLAWFUL gaming, and online poker has not been ruled illegal in all (or even many) states...but what do I know, I'm just a Canadian.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is essentially my point. Ty Bobo, for summing it up succinctly
Old 05-12-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slow down a bit. This is about the DOJ going after companies specifically set up to fraudulently launder credit card money. I doubt they're even making any distinction between gambling and non-gambling. This is a pretty textbook RICO case, and it seems to me that if the facts are reported correctly, they deserve to get hit by the full brunt of it. When DOJ goes after credit card processors who fund online gambling non-fraudulently, maybe I'll start worrying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing this out. I was focused on this as more anti-gambling (with the book being thrown at them) then money laundering (with the book being thrown at them) which was probably a mistake. Appreciate your input.

Mitch said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

see above.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will take more than UIGEA to make money laundering necessary for online gambling transactions. This is only a threat to half-assed operations -- these people weren't even smart enough to operate outside the US, for chrissake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read the article?

"The indictment alleges that the defendants' businesses assisted Internet gambling sites by arranging fund transfers between U.S. bettors and the sites by using Western Union wire transfers."

"Brett Tolman, U.S. attorney for the District of Utah, said in a press release. “Payment processors who attempt to hide the true nature of the transactions they are conducting AND the Internet gambling Web sites that use these payment processors will be prosecuted and brought to justice," he said in a statement."

There's no wiggle room here, any gambling website that uses these merchants will be targeted.

It's extremely clear.