Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Some comments about the WCOOP structures

On many tables that I have observed, people (generally observers but sometimes the players) are complaining about the long structure and the fact that the tournaments are lasting 12-18 hours to complete.

I want to personally give mad props to Stars for such an awesome structure. It is so rare that we see a strcuture online that actually lets the skill factor come out in a big way. I've been watching so many different tables since 300 left and the good players are getting their money in good and increasing their stacks. If they get unlucky in a given hand, it will often not end the day. There is enough play to get away from 2nd best hands, and enough chips to survive more orbits if you get hurt.

As for the players themselves, do you not think that they would prefer to be tired the next day when they have just won $1k? How about $10k? $100k?

One other point worth mentionning is the idea of 2 day tournaments. The idea is a good one, in theory. But in practice, it falls apart. How many players would sell their seats to more established pros? Even 1 is too many. I believe that Pokerstars would catch people abusing the rules of such a 2 day tournament, but why force the issue? Why compromise the integrity of the tournament in the first place? If you don't open Pandora's box...

So like I said... mad props to Stars. Mad props to the players who go the distance. It's fun to watch.

Fell
Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Some comments about the WCOOP structures

I have no problem with long structures. I do have a problem with long structures that aren't 2 day events.

IMO. Anything over 16 hours needs to be divided into a 2 day event. Event #5 we are watching right now is prob going to top out around 20 hours, and I think that is too long.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 AM

20 hours is ridiculous.

is selling accounts really that much harder ina 1day event?

and anyway, if one account is being played from an IP in new york one day then on one in LA the next, cant they just ban the account then?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 AM

It sure is awesome for people living in Europe...

If I by some freak streak of luck was still in the latest event I would hand of my account to a friend who had gotten some sleep and take a nap.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM

event 5 has been going 17.5 hrs, its 3pm in the UK and there are still 10 players left. I sold most of the w% i bought after playing the first days events as the only way i would ever make it through one of these things is by account sharing with someone in a different hemisphere.

Whoever came up with these structures as one day events should be shot...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Whoever came up with these structures as one day events should be shot...

[/ QUOTE ]

Today's ignorant hyberbolic post has been brought to you by Jackal69
Old 09-17-2007, 11:31 AM

There is no reason whatsoever that Stars wouldn't listen and use common sense. Two day events, such a freaking simple solution.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:34 AM

how many events are you playing fellknight and whats your sn?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One other point worth mentionning is the idea of 2 day tournaments. The idea is a good one, in theory. But in practice, it falls apart. How many players would sell their seats to more established pros? Even 1 is too many. I believe that Pokerstars would catch people abusing the rules of such a 2 day tournament, but why force the issue? Why compromise the integrity of the tournament in the first place? If you don't open Pandora's box...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of prbs with this argument, not the least of which is that if X hour tournaments are not feasible as 1 day events, they shouldn't happen regardless of the threat of cheating.

Take for example live tournaments. They are played over multiple days, and there's no doubt that this makes life easier for chip dumpers, colluders and the like (this is particularly but not exclusively true when seating assignments are released days/hours in advance).

So I guess WSOP events should be played continuously, with 10 min breaks after every level and a 1h break every 9 hours? Of course not, it's just not feasible.

You have to recognize that this is the case. Indeed the debate here isn't a matter of 1 day vs 2 day events really. Everyone favors 1 day events as long as the length is not ridiculous. The debate is actually about at what duration does it become ridiculous to keep an event 1 day? For some people it's ~22 hours, for others it's longer or shorter.

We all share your indignation toward cheaters as well as your appreciation for the great structure, but certainly you'd agree that there exists a point in the duration of a tournament after which playing it as a 1 day event becomes ridiculous, the only difference between you and people calling for a 2 day ME is the location of that point.

Everyone, given their own understanding of how the human body, real world commitments and the poker mind work will decide on their own point. Moreover, everyone, given their love of good structures and desire to keep things from catering to cheats will push that point as far ahead forward as they imagine possible. Nevertheless, eventually everyone will meet a duration at which they agree an event must be split over multiple days. Accordingly, arguments about multi-accounting/seat selling are not really relevant since everyone is considering them, even those calling for a 2 day event.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM

structure is awesome but theres really no good reason not to make at least the bigger events 2 days

i just woke up and yesterdays tourney is still running, almost 20 hours later.. insane