Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Some comments about the WCOOP structures

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, putting some restrictions like same IP address for both days would be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will not work, there many ways to remotely use someones computer for free, in a day event you give people plenty of time to set this up.

I think it is fine to have 2 day events but everyone needs to be aware that it WILL increase the account sharing problems, if you are willing to put up with it then play, but no one can deny that it would be a tremendous advantage for those who want to sell their spot in the tournament to give them an extra 12 hours to find the best deal and set up the remote software.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a CS PhD guy and I know that it's pretty easy to set remote software. Is it really difficult to set it up in a one day event? I don't think so. So, why make it a 20+ hour one day event?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 PM

I am just saying it will give people MORE of an opportunity to do so, not that it cannot be done in a 20 hour event. I just think it will be much more conducive to this kind of cheating.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's great that Stars listened to us and provided us with a great new structure. Can't we just get off their backs for a little and enjoy the WCOOP as it is now? Maybe for next WCOOP Stars can try to work in 2 day events.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post djk. I know there are a lot of full time players looking to have 2 day events occur but what they are ignoring is that there is a significant percent of the population that wouldn't play the event if it was a 2 day event.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know there are a lot of full time players looking to have 2 day events occur but what they are ignoring is that there is a significant percent of the population that wouldn't play the event if it was a 2 day event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's great that Stars listened to us and provided us with a great new structure. Can't we just get off their backs for a little and enjoy the WCOOP as it is now? Maybe for next WCOOP Stars can try to work in 2 day events.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post djk. I know there are a lot of full time players looking to have 2 day events occur but what they are ignoring is that there is a significant percent of the population that wouldn't play the event if it was a 2 day event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make it clear that the 2nd day is only for the final table or so and you won't scare off many people. As others have said, how many people wouldn't be able to take one day off (even on short notice) if they were guaranteed 5 figures and had a real shot at 6 (or even 7)?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM

I love the 1/2 hour structure however I do agree that the games that would likly go more then 12 hours should have a 2 day structure.
My problem is with the inconsistancy. Event 5 $500 had a 10K start stack and all other $500 have 3K stacks,. If you look at the blind structure for $500 O/8 vs. $200 HORSE you will see that both games start 3k chips but the $200 game has blinds starting lower and staying lower then the $500 game, this seems backwords. I would like to see a constant structure, one that adjusts the amount of play constant with the buy in. The structures should remain the same for all wcoop tourneys and the start stacks should raise with the buy in, at least IMO. There is no good reason not to have a uniform structure.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is silliness. Just a while ago everyone was whining for better structure. Now we have better structure and everyone is complaining that the tourneys are taking too long. Well that's what happens with a better structure! Suck it up. Hasn't everyone pulled an all-nighter at least once in their lives? And then you weren't playing a game for tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

For those saying that the length conflicts with work and school, isn't missing one day of work/class worth it when you are guaranteed 5 figures (maybe lil less I dunno) and have the chance to win 6 figures? I doubt any one would get fired for missing one day of work or get in serious trouble for missing a few classes, and how many people actually lose 5-10k in earnings or whatever by missing one day of work?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because psychology dictates that it is so. The first problem with 2 day events is that for the major NLHE events, you'd have to start on Saturday, which I think has been discussed before in the thread as being less than ideal. If you started on Sunday and made it a 2 day event, then the field would shrink dramatically as well. People who have jobs, etc on Monday are going to be significantly less likely to look in the lobby and say to themselves "Hey, look a 2 day event, sweet! Let's register!" They're more likely to peek into the lobby and say "crap, 2 day event, can't play, gotta go to work tomorrow."

The value in these tourneys comes from two things-the large number of players, and the great structure. If we make the changes you guys are looking for, one of these two things is going to be negatively affected.

Finally, while I haven't played any events yet (one of which because I fell asleep and forgot to register, and another where I had something come up and couldn't play), I had a strong rooting interest (wink wink nudge nudge) in someone who went deep in event 1, and throughout the entire tourney I don't think either of us complained about the fact that it was 4am and we were still awake. We were both just glad that he got to play the tourney and not have less than 30 bbs until the very end, 12 hours in, which is insane in a shorthanded format.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who have jobs, etc on Monday are going to be significantly less likely to look in the lobby and say to themselves "Hey, look a 2 day event, sweet! Let's register!" They're more likely to peek into the lobby and say "crap, 2 day event, can't play, gotta go to work tomorrow."

[/ QUOTE ]

But they won't be thinking, "crap, this'll take 20 hours to play out. I won't be able to go to work tomorrow"?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is with the inconsistancy. ... If you look at the blind structure for $500 O/8 vs. $200 HORSE you will see that both games start 3k chips but the $200 game has blinds starting lower and staying lower then the $500 game, this seems backwords.

[/ QUOTE ]

HORSE and LO8 are not the same. The three stud variants in HORSE have an extra BB level so they play a bit shallower than a flop game with the same limits.

Mind you, I'm not sure if the difference between the two structures is too much or too little after you consider this effect.