Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 PM

Default QQ $6.50

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t1719)
MP2 (t1435)
CO (t1360)
Button (t5455)
Hero (t1380)
BB (t1546)
UTG (t605)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t30, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t120, CO folds.

Flop: (t360) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t330</font>, MP2 calls t330.

Turn: (t1020) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t300</font>, Hero ?

What to do when villain donks this turn ?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: QQ $6.50

Totally read-dependant. If they are a known bluffer call and c/c the river. If they are a solid regular I fold because I can't put them on a draw for your size bet on the flop. With no read at all I think I fold what might be the best hand and try to get the rest of my stack in the middle in a better spot later.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 PM

It's read dependent, but it seems more likely to be something like ATs/88/99 than a J or 89. JT makes the most sense, but does he limp-call that loose preflop? It's a horribly weak turn bet on that board, but you raised out of the blinds so he may not put you on anything that can easily outdraw him.

At this level, he's mostly not thinking about your hand or betsizing anyway - he's thinking "I have a pair/draw and the PFR checked the turn". Any reads? Post-flop aggro low or high? If it's low I expect him to have a J or better more often - if it's high, less often.

Readless, I think I'm ahead more often than not. Checking that turn invites a bluff, so I probably c/rAI or c/c turn and c/c non-scary river and expect to win. There are quite a lot of scary rivers for his range, so I probably just push and be done with it. I don't think you're behind that often.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM

I like t300 on the flop
Give him a chance to draw incorrectly
The turn-bet scares me because it looks like he/she want us to come over the top..I wouldn`t fold here anyway, because he/she could be bluffing or playing a weaker pair if he/she put us on AK.

He had AJ or KJ, right?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like t300 on the flop
Give him a chance to draw incorrectly

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you're saying, but at this level it's more usual for villains to pay too much to draw. I think you get a lot of value from overcharging them as much as possible - especially in a hand like this where they can get themselves pot-committed before they realise what's happening.

Plus, so many of them don't bet their strong hands strong and thus get stubborn if you bet strong, I think it's best to take advantage of the inability to fold an underpair/draw.

Not good advice against good opponents or for higher buy-ins, obviously.