Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Micro stakes bankroll strategy at Stars

I currently have 40$ at PokerStars and want to build it up. I am approaching games with a 10buyin rule. With pokerstars the micro games are different with their max buyin. When i get to $50 should I buy in at .02/.05 where their max buyin is $10 or should I continue to play .01/.02 at a $5 buyin?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Micro stakes bankroll strategy at Stars

I say you continue at 01 02 til around 100 before going to 02 05. Variance gets pretty crazy online so i would definately suggest more than 10 buyins. But if you want to play that way than I say at the VERY least $100 for .2 .5. If you get to .2 .5 I suggest at least 30 buy ins for whatever level you are playing after
Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 PM

The rake at .01/.02 is maddening. I'd advocate frequent shot taking up to 10nl but if you lose even one buyin drop back down.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:25 PM

Okay another question to find my answer. What is the disadvantage of joining .02/.05 with $5 instead of $10? I know that you should try to be the biggest stack but 100bb is qualified to be a big enough stack so you can get your implied odds.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:33 PM

You can play the .02/.05 with just $50 and be ok if you buy for just 6 and not 10. Besides with all the calling stations you just value bet everything and can fold when draws hit and they push. I have played these stakes with only $50 and was fine. Of course if you run bad you got to drop down.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rake at .01/.02 is maddening. I'd advocate frequent shot taking up to 10nl but if you lose even one buyin drop back down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Pots < $1 aren't even raked, and most pots at .01/02 are less than $1

(unless this is UB, which takes more rake at that level)
Old 03-31-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. Pots < $1 aren't even raked, and most pots at .01/02 are less than $1

(unless this is UB, which takes more rake at that level)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there is not much rake in .01/.02 on the site I play at which is PokerStars.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:53 PM

I'm a bankroll nit, so take this with a grain of salt and a shot of tequilla.

Variance is a b-i-t-s-h. If you are willing to reload, then play on a thin bankroll. If not, you need to build it up because downswings sap your bankroll (and confidence, leading to more bankroll sapping).

The .02/.05 is easy, but you'll still take some maddening beats. If you buy in for $5, an 8 buyin downswing will send you to Walgreen's looking for a prepaid debit card.

My advice is to grind it out (and it is a grind) at the NL$2 game (.01/.02). You can buy in for $5, but if you're going to do that, you might as well play .02/.05. Grind it out with $2 stacks until you get to a point where you no longer care about bad beats and you generally own this level. This point varies for each individual. Personally, I started a few years ago at 'Stars with $50, and grinded (and grinded and grinded) until I had $200 and moved up to NL10 (there was no .02/.05 game then). Life's ironic, because NL10 is where I'm playing 2 years later, post-Frist. Which is much different than the last time I played this level; players are generally better. I miss the days of rakeback and bonus whoring and Crypto monthly bonuses and PARTY POKER! [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] and my old bankroll. But I'm not willing to deposit any more money. But I digress.

Like I said, I'm a nit and this is probably the most conservative response you'll get. But, IMO, by grinding it out (on your leather ass [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), you'll gain invaluable experience and be better prepared for the next levels. Plus, you need to win enough to get PokerTracker. It will pay for itself quickly.

Good luck with it. I'll see you at the NL10 tables in a few months (or sooner!).
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 PM

I'd just play 10 NL. 10 NL is that easy.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bankroll nit, so take this with a grain of salt and a shot of tequilla.

Variance is a b-i-t-s-h. If you are willing to reload, then play on a thin bankroll. If not, you need to build it up because downswings sap your bankroll (and confidence, leading to more bankroll sapping).

The .02/.05 is easy, but you'll still take some maddening beats. If you buy in for $5, an 8 buyin downswing will send you to Walgreen's looking for a prepaid debit card.

My advice is to grind it out (and it is a grind) at the NL$2 game (.01/.02). You can buy in for $5, but if you're going to do that, you might as well play .02/.05. Grind it out with $2 stacks until you get to a point where you no longer care about bad beats and you generally own this level. This point varies for each individual. Personally, I started a few years ago at 'Stars with $50, and grinded (and grinded and grinded) until I had $200 and moved up to NL10 (there was no .02/.05 game then). Life's ironic, because NL10 is where I'm playing 2 years later, post-Frist. Which is much different than the last time I played this level; players are generally better. I miss the days of rakeback and bonus whoring and Crypto monthly bonuses and PARTY POKER! [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] and my old bankroll. But I'm not willing to deposit any more money. But I digress.

Like I said, I'm a nit and this is probably the most conservative response you'll get. But, IMO, by grinding it out (on your leather ass [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), you'll gain invaluable experience and be better prepared for the next levels. Plus, you need to win enough to get PokerTracker. It will pay for itself quickly.

Good luck with it. I'll see you at the NL10 tables in a few months (or sooner!).

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt let myself lose 8 buyins. I dont worry too much about tilt since I concentrate on one game and not the next one since I end my session if i lose 10% of my roll. If i lose 6 buyins when im at $50 i would move down to .01/.02 and have 10 buyins at .01/.02.