Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Stalling for tv time is really bad for poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jamie Gold and the WSOP's willingness to let him discuss hands set back poker one year as I have had to penalize players 100 times for verbally disclosing their hands and showing cards.

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lose the rule then. It is retarded that you can tell lies about your hand but not the truth. (Except for situations where more than one player is in a hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if that was a rule than I would change it.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

horrible rule anyway.

let a poker player say anything he wants to another poker player. that's poker. stop worrying about collusion. stop worrying about losers having their feelings hurt. just let the game do the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

We worry about collusion so that the players do not have to.

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]
how is it collusion for one player to say "I have a flush"
in a HU pot?
If they are partners then they could have signals or something u couldn't detect. The rule about no card showing and no declarations of what you have HU is moronic.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jamie Gold and the WSOP's willingness to let him discuss hands set back poker one year as I have had to penalize players 100 times for verbally disclosing their hands and showing cards.

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lose the rule then. It is retarded that you can tell lies about your hand but not the truth. (Except for situations where more than one player is in a hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

horrible rule anyway.

let a poker player say anything he wants to another poker player. that's poker. stop worrying about collusion. stop worrying about losers having their feelings hurt. just let the game do the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]
in a HU pot?
If they are partners then they could have signals or something u couldn't detect. The rule about no card showing and no declarations of what you have HU is moronic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are not heads up if there are other players in the tournament.

Matt
Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

horrible rule anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]
in a HU pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
Matt,

If they wanted to chip dump, they would. It would be very simple.
Saying "I have a flush" is part of the psychology of the game. You might say it because you think the other guy won't believe you and he will call an overbet. It doesn't hurt any other player in the tournament.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

horrible rule anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Savage

[/ QUOTE ]
in a HU pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
Matt,

If they wanted to chip dump, they would. It would be very simple.
Saying "I have a flush" is part of the psychology of the game. You might say it because you think the other guy won't believe you and he will call an overbet. It doesn't hurt any other player in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

a bitch always finds an excuse
Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The rule about no card showing and no declarations of what you have HU is moronic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, this stifles a lot of the psychological aspect of the game. Chatting up the other players and playing mind games is an intregral part of what makes poker fun. It's a shame there are rules prohibiting it, to say the least.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 AM

For the last time, if you were allowed to show/honestly announce your hand in a tournament, then weaker players would do this constantly, especially around the bubble, to inhibit action and keep themselves alive in the tournament.

You want to Hollywood, stick to cash.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, hands don't happen in a vaccuum in tournaments to the extent that they can in cash games
Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 AM

Those not understanding the need to protect players not in the hand by having rules which prevent any potential favoring or influencing of players in the hand need to rethink it.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those not understanding the need to protect players not in the hand by having rules which prevent any potential favoring or influencing of players in the hand need to rethink it.

[/ QUOTE ]

or maybe you could elaborate
Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM

The short version of my answer would be "any rules or non rules that make it easier for a player/s to exert undue influence over a tournament outcome regardless of their intentions are probably bad for the game."

A benign example would be a bubble situation where showing a card and annoucing your actual holding heads up is the only reason your opponent properly folds where he would have otherwise busted.
The tangible person hurt by those actions is the person who ends up bubbling. But the layers of harm to the actual outcome of the tourney go deeper.
Assuming it was without malevolence- say I decided to be sporting to Snowball on the bubble because i liked the table banter or something- I now have influenced the outcome of the tournament where I wasn't able to beforehand.

Now realize that allowing those actions in any heads up pot legitimizes any open collusion/soft playing or malevolence that way.