Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 AM

Default 10$ S&G: Playing top pair on a flushy board.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) by Hand Converter CG

UTG+1 (t1470)
MP1 (t1810)
MP2 (t1685)
MP3 (t915)
CO (t1530)
Button (t1470)
Hero (t1485)
BB (t1930)
UTG (t1205)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t420</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t270.

Turn: (t960) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1035 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t755 (All-In).

River: (t2750) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2750
I know the turn is wrong...I should have been way more careful. Kind of on tilt on this one i guess.
Any comments appreciated.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:45 AM

Default Re: 10$ S&G: Playing top pair on a flushy board.

So I guess he had a flushdraw then...

You have to think you're ahead on the flop. I don't know if I like that re-raise or not. I might just call

The turn is obviously stupid. What would he call the re-raise with, 2-pair..set, maybe flushdraw.
You beat like KQ, QJ, and maybe a few more queens but not that much so you are probably only getting called if you are beat, and with that flushcard it's pretty likely.

I think I would check or bet half pot on the turn and if he shoves, well that's bad.. I think you have to fold.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 AM

ok thank you.
It is good to have you guys make me see the truth from time to time.
Thank you.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 AM

The guy catches hes flush and starts to think how to extract some value from you, and voila allin, "thanks" he thought, i guess.

Just raise AQ preflop with bbs so low.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 AM

PF completion is fine. I think I'd lead on the flop with PSB, but as played the raise on the flop is OK, I guess. The turn sucks, definitely check and see what he does.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Yes completion is fine at those levels. I'd lead the flop too, if you are beaten by someone with a set or overpair you have to know how strong is your hand and if you get raised is not a bad fold probably you are beaten.

AQ is one of the most overrated hands IMHO. If you get called you can assume someone has a weak queen or a draw. I dont like the check raise, you are just putting too many chips in jeopardy for a hand at the early stage with only TPTK and OOP.

In this case knowing how plays the UTG is important, he might be slowplaying AA or KK or he might have a set, but in that case he would try to put u all in on the flop.

Turn I'd bet like almost half a pot and if you get raised you can safely fold.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Well - it's t30 and pretty freaking early to worry about chips. Some guy comes at me when I'm holding top pair top kicker with a flush draw I'll let him have it.

Chips at this point in the game are meaningless and there is no reason to continue to play the hand.

Why - Because he might hit his flush and I'm sitting there with a silly grin on my face with top pair and no chips.

People play the wrong game in SNGs early. They seem to think winning chips is meaningful and forget that if they lose the hand they lose the tournament. IF they win the hand they can still lose the tournament.

My motto is
Survive, Accumulate, Destroy! You are still in the survive section of the SNG.

I know 90% of you will no come back and say you must make him pay for his flush draw. But . . . . . you did and where did that get you. Unless you have a lock on the hand, I will fold to aggression and suck outs at this point in a SNG.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 PM

I guess i agree with you.
What you are saying in some way is that a S&amp;G player should avoid taking any risks unless he has the nuts or almost early ? I should not make him pay for the flush draw but just play it <u>passively</u> as i dont want my chips in the pot early with only top pair. Am i right ?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) by Hand Converter CG

UTG+1 (t1470)
MP1 (t1810)
MP2 (t1685)
MP3 (t915)
CO (t1530)
Button (t1470)
Hero (t1485)
BB (t1930)
UTG (t1205)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t420</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t270.

Turn: (t960) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1035 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t755 (All-In).

River: (t2750) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2750
I know the turn is wrong...I should have been way more careful. Kind of on tilt on this one i guess.
Any comments appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
The very early stages of a STT sometimes have total idiots wanting to lose early. Don't know if you have any feeling for this player or not.

If you CR, I would go allin. He may call with QJ or even 99, putting you on a draw, or just being an idiot. With your raise to 420 he probably has odds to call with a flush draw. He may call an allin with a flush draw but at least 2 of 3 times you'll stack him.

Otherwise I would make a post-sized bet, possibly fold to a raise. If called make a PSB on the turn and almost definitely fold to a raise. If he calls the turn, depending on your reads and the card and his bet, I would likely check/fold or maybe check/call the river.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF completion is fine. I think I'd lead on the flop with PSB, but as played the raise on the flop is OK, I guess. The turn sucks, definitely check and see what he does.

[/ QUOTE ]
same here