Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Cheney and Bush declare autonomous powers

[ QUOTE ]

The Vice President and the President have casually declared their offices to be independent of the executive branch and completely autonomous, with Dick Cheney also attempting to abolish agencies his office is supposed to be accountable to.

[..]

While Cheney has declared his office outside of the executive branch he has continued to receive funding from the bill that funds the executive branch. Instead of challenging Cheney's absurd declaration of autonomy, House Democratic Caucus Chairman Rahm Emanuel is now seeking an amendment to the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations bill in order to cut the funding to Cheney's office and thus legally separate it from the executive branch.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...0607Cheney.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Vice President Cheney exempted his office from the presidential order that establishes government-wide procedures for safeguarding classified national security information. The Vice President asserts that his office is not an “entity within the executive branch.”
http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=1371

[/ QUOTE ]

Olbermann reports on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hclzp5-yTl0

[ QUOTE ]

This morning on ABC, George Stephanopoulos asked Vice President Cheney if he would testify before Congress if he was subpoenaed. Cheney said “probably not in the sense at that vice president and president and constitutional officers don’t appear before the Congress.”
http://thinkprogress.org/2006/11/05/cheney-testify/

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Among the laws Bush said he can ignore are military rules and regulations, affirmative-action provisions, requirements that Congress be told about immigration services problems, ''whistle-blower" protections for nuclear regulatory officials, and safeguards against political interference in federally funded research.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...dreds_of_laws/

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Cheney and Bush declare autonomous powers

Bush's attempts to expand executive power (and his own) is nothing new. Congress has made baby steps in checking this power. In a few years he'll be gone and hopefully we can start undoing the damage.

Cody
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congress has made baby steps in checking this power. In a few years he'll be gone and hopefully we can start undoing the damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely one of the main concern that the vast majority of the people in the world have about the current USA political system and its implications, and with good cause, I think.

PS I love the USA
Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 AM

Midge :

I won't ask you how you know what the "vast majority of the people around the world" think about the current USA political system (or it's implications) but I think people over seas are more concerned about American bombs landing on their children than where the balance of power resides between the exectuive, legislative and judicial branch of the American government.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Midge :

I won't ask you how you know what the "vast majority of the people around the world" think about the current USA political system (or it's implications) but I think people over seas are more concerned about American bombs landing on their children than where the balance of power resides between the exectuive, legislative and judicial branch of the American government.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pwnd GoodCallYouWin. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You are probably right.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Midge :

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a strong correlation between a lack of balance of powers and the chances of bombs landing on peoples' children.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bush's attempts to expand executive power (and his own) is nothing new. Congress has made baby steps in checking this power. In a few years he'll be gone and hopefully we can start undoing the damage.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the power is becoming more and more centralized and the bought and sold congress is a puppetshow who all have the same interests. Didn't the democrats have the Congress now? Hasn't the war got more and more funding? Right now they're setting everything in place to move into Iran.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 AM

Why Hillary Scares Me; Mike Gravel
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sen-mi...e_b_53586.html
Old 06-26-2007, 11:34 AM

broken link. Hillary and Giuliani are the scariest candidates to me so far.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Vice President and the President have casually declared their offices to be independent of the executive branch and completely autonomous, with Dick Cheney also attempting to abolish agencies his office is supposed to be accountable to.

[..]

While Cheney has declared his office outside of the executive branch he has continued to receive funding from the bill that funds the executive branch. Instead of challenging Cheney's absurd declaration of autonomy, House Democratic Caucus Chairman Rahm Emanuel is now seeking an amendment to the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations bill in order to cut the funding to Cheney's office and thus legally separate it from the executive branch.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...0607Cheney.htm

[/ QUOTE ]
Who'd have thought we'd see the day when Nielso would be decrying a reduction in government agencies... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]