Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Not sure about this? Thoughts?

Here we are again playing in the local bar with THE worst players in Canada.

$1/$2 NL 8 handed.

6 limpers. Flop is 10,8,7 rainbow.

Player 'A' bets $12. Player 'B' calls. Everyone else folds.
I know player 'A''s game pretty good (he knows mine just as well) and when he bet the flop, I knew he had at worst 2 pair. My real gut instint tells me he flopped the straight.
I'm sitting accross the table from player 'A' (not beside him).

The turn is a 6.
The board is now 6,7,8,10.

Player 'A' bets $10 again. Now I know he flopped a straight. Player 'B' raises to $30. He hit his open ender.

Player 'A' looks like a kid in the candy store and pushes his remaining chips in the middle. Player 'B' is never ever the type to fold here. Everyone knows this.

He grabs his chips (about $80), puts them over the 'betting line' to make the call, puts them very very close to the felt and begins to drop them. 1 chip, 2 chips, 3 chips (all $10 value) and is counting the amount as he is dropping them.

As he is making the call, I say "player 'A' has J,9 for sure"... I probably shouldn't of said anything at all, but he had his chips over the line and half of them dropped on the felt. Player 'A' at this point flips over his cards because even in his point of view player 'B' had made the call and shows his J,9 for the nut straight.

Player 'B' then says he didn't call. He just happened to have dropped his chips over the betting line and on the felt. An argument ensued. He did not say the word 'call'.

I asked him if he was going to call before player 'A' prematurely flipped over his cards and he said "of course I was" yet he still thought he had the right to pull his bet back.

Player 'B' doesn't win too often. Player 'A' does.
Player 'B' was obviously very very broke for trying to do what he did.

We let player 'B' take back his chips.

What are eveyrone's thoughts here.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Not sure about this? Thoughts?

My thought is keep your big mouth shut, I and everyone else hates people that talk during hands, especially when it cost them a pot
Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Don't comment on a hand you are not in.

If you are playing at a bar, is there an actual betting line? Of course, in some places there is a betting line, but it is basically meaningless and any time you set chips out in front of your cards is a call. It just depends on the rules of the house.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

STFU When not in a hand.

If "B" is a complete fish that you want to keep in the game, maybe it is okay.

I don't like it. I don't like you talking about a hand in progress. I don't like "A" flipping over his cards. I don't like you letting "B" pull back his bet. I don't like any of it, but it isn't my game and my opinion dosen't matter.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here we are again playing in the local bar with THE worst players in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM

I don't see anything wrong here.

You blabbed about a hand you are not in. That's not a rule infraction, just well......

Player A exposed his cards. Too bad.

Player B was playing with his chips, deciding what to do. When he saw the J9, he decieded to fold.

Nothing wrong there at all. Move on.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anything wrong here.

You blabbed about a hand you are not in. That's not a rule infraction, just well......

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a rule infraction. The OP thought the players had already called, which would make the infraction harmless, but an infraction nonetheless.

[ QUOTE ]

Player B was playing with his chips, deciding what to do. When he saw the J9, he decieded to fold.

Nothing wrong there at all. Move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends entirely on house rules. I was once forced to call an all-in because I placed a few chips in front of my card to count them (when it was obvious to everyone at the table that I was merely counting), because the dealer claimed that placing any chip in front of your cards constituted a call. This is not the rule everywhere, but it could be.

If this is a bar game without a dealer or a floor to sort this out, the question should probably be moved to the home game forum.

The best solution would probably be for the OP to pay Player A the extra $80 that Player B was going to put in the pot to make up for being a jerk.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Player A should part your nut sack with his foot.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a rule infraction. The OP thought the players had already called, which would make the infraction harmless, but an infraction nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a rule infraction to make a comment about what you think a guy has when both players are all in?

What rule says that?

Would it be a rule infraction to say, "I thought he had a set," as the next hand was being dealt?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a rule infraction to make a comment about what you think a guy has when both players are all in?

What rule says that?

[/ QUOTE ]

"One player to a hand."

It's possible (probably not in this case) that the person betting big thought he was on a bluff and was going to insta-muck to a call. When the OP theorized about his hand, he may have then realize, oh, wait, he does have a winning hand.

Granted, not likely in this case, but you need to draw the line somewhere, and the easy line is after the pot has been pushed.