Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:59 AM

Default NFL Survivor Pool Running Into Playoffs - Rules Question

I am looking at running an NFL Survivor pool this year with the modification that a player has 3 strikes before they are eliminated instead of 1. One other modification that we are planning is to run into the playoffs if there are still players remaining, rather than splitting the prize pool between the players at the end of the regular season.

The problem we are having is what to do in the event that a player does not have a team to select in a given week. I have seen a pool run similar to this before, and I think the decision was to DQ anyone who couldn't pick a team. I am leaning towards using that as a rule, but I am looking for some outside opinions. So for anyone who has done one of these before, and anyone who wants to chime in, please review the two scenarios below and tell me what you feel the best ruling is. TIA.

Scenario 1:

Player A has 1 strike against him and Player B has 2 strikes against him heading into wild-card weekend. Player A has 3 playoff teams that he can select, but they all have received a first round bye. Player B has a team that he can select in the wild-card round.

Ruling:

(A) Player A receives a strike since he has teams remaining but none that are playing this week.

(B) Player A is eliminated as he is unable to select any team this week.

Scenario 2:

Player A has 1 strike against him and Player B has 2 strikes against him heading into Conference Championship weekend. Player A has no team that he can select while Player B has a team that he can select.

Ruling:

(A) Player A receives a strike since he has no team that he can select this week.

(B) Player A is eliminated as he is unable to select any team this week.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: NFL Survivor Pool Running Into Playoffs - Rules Question

I vote for the strikes (a and a) but this sounds hella lame overall.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:17 PM

I would not play in any Survivor pool that ran into the playoffs. There's no intelligent way to deal with the problems you address here, so why go there?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not play in any Survivor pool that ran into the playoffs. There's no intelligent way to deal with the problems you address here, so why go there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-28-2007, 04:23 PM

If you don't like the whole "Survivor" concept of NFL Survival Pools then just go to two strikes. The chances it runs into the playoffs is a lot smaller. If it does run into the playoffs, just split the money between the tied winners.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:04 PM

I appreciate the replies so far, although a little more feedback on the scenarios would be great. As I mentioned in the OP, I have seen a pool run like this before, and it was enjoyable for those involved. There has been discussion between a number of people who will be involved in this pool, and most prefer 3 strikes. The fact that it continues into the playoffs adds an extra strategic element in that you have to attempt to save some teams for the playoffs, and it also makes it less likely to have a tie, and most people want to see a winner if possible.

As far as the comment that there is no intelligent way to deal with the problems, I don't really understand that statement. By thinking it out beforehand and deciding on the best course of action, are we not taking an intelligent approach? The crux of the decision is how harshly a player should be penalized if they don't manage their pool well enough to have a team eligible to be picked. Since these rules will be spelled out beforehand I see no problem with running the pool in this fashion.

As I said, I do appreciate the feedback. Now that we have established that many wouldn't like to play by these rules, it would be great if some more people could weigh in on how they feel the rulings should go. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 PM

Either you should split the pool at the end of the regular season (maybe giving an extra share to the player(s) with the fewest strikes), or you should allow all the live players to erase their past picks use all the teams in the playoffs once, and go forward from there.

The whole idea of having to save playoff teams for the postseason seems ridiculous. I can think of multiple scenarios under those rules where you'd have to make some really retarded choices.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM

Two strikes could cause trouble. Every pool I've been in has reset for playoffs and you can use two teams twice. If its still alive at the SuperBowl, you go closest overall score without going over.

I've also played in pools with an optional week 1-2 rebuy to get one of those teams chosen back.