Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Dealer calls time on player

[ QUOTE ]
If the players at the table cared about the guy taking time of the hand, they would have called the floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not always true.
I have never called time on a player.
I don't want to be the one who is pretty much saying, "Dude. Hurry up" even though I have had several situations where I really wish the player would stop stalling and just make his decision.

I've played 3/6 limit with WPT-wannabe's who I felt like calling 'time' on almost every freaking hand. I didn't though because I didn't want to create any bad feelings. I would just let the bad player sit there and stew over his $6 decision and hope he would make it sometime this century OR that somebody else would call time.

If calling time on a player was somehow done anonymously (a little button that nobody would know I pressed) I would be calling 'time' a lot because there are so many players who take entirely too long for routine decisions.

I agree with youtalkfunny.
The guy had over 2 minutes to start,
THEN got a warning that we can't take all freaking day,
THEN the floor was called,
THEN he had a full minute count-down.

Do you really want to give players 5 minutes or longer to stew there on their own without any warning at all.
2 minutes seems like plenty of time to me before the dealer wakes him up a little bit and reminds him that we're all waiting.

As I said, I'm reluctant to call time on another player..especially when I'm not in the hand.

So I appreciate the dealer taking action here when it's become obvious that the player had plenty of time and needs to act.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn who is that in the avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

She is a very good dancer.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:17 PM

He is a good dealer.

From these responses, I take it that there really is not a standard rule in most rooms for who is, and who is not, responsible for calling time and how much time is too much.

Maybe this is something rooms should consider? I think players would appreciate some standards here. Though I thought the dealer was over-stepping his bounds in this instance - I would have no problem with rooms giving dealers this discretion as a rule in the future.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM

I know Andrew. He has a very short temper and often loses control.

In any event I once called for a clock on a player, I think when i did it it was fully appropriate, The player was mouthing off talking trash while not faced with a particularly tough decision and was telling us that he was going to take a long time to make every decision because he could. So i called the floor and told him what was going on and the floor put the clock on him and warned him.

In the scenario in the OP the dealer shouldn't have called for a clock, but I don't think it is nearly as severe an infraction as most people are saying. I doubt it had much impact on the outcome.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can anyone think the dealer is out of line here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, if the nits in here had their way, half the dealers in the world would be jobless (90% of those for not "stfu").

So needless to say, I'm used to seeing "dealer should be fired" pop up in just about any dealer-related thread.

As far as OP is concerned, he may have missed something (a player pointing to his watch, for example).
Old 09-03-2006, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn who is that in the avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reon Kadena. Somewhere in this mess, I have a 15ish minute video of her. Nothing NSFW, but very hot.

Also, that dealer needs to be fired.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:28 PM

dealers should never call time on a player. Don't worry, another player will do it after 5 minutes. The bluffer has a right to be pissed.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:29 PM

Should the dealer really give him longer than 3-4 minutes before calling the floor on his own (if nobody else has done anything)?

I think other players are extremely reluctant to call time in such situations because it's not their hand.

But the dealer should be perfectly allowed to move the game along if the stalling has gone on long enough.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should the dealer really give him longer than 3-4 minutes before calling the floor on his own (if nobody else has done anything)?

I think other players are extremely reluctant to call time in such situations because it's not their hand.

But the dealer should be perfectly allowed to move the game along if the stalling has gone on long enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I mean, a world class athlete can run a whole freakin' mile in under 4 minutes....and this guy can't decide in this amount of time? Maybe the guy shouldn't be playing poker if it creates so much stress, anxiety and indecision.

BTW, if the bluffer would have won, would he still be pissed? Probably not. And the dealer would have been a super-duper guy.

I usually think the dealer posts on here point out the 1% pinheads the chose dealing poker as a profession, but in this case maybe not. He did what was best for the table whether it was within his authority or not. He can deal my game anytime.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually think the dealer posts on here point out the 1% pinheads the chose dealing poker as a profession,

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they do. Its because like it or not dealing is a profession that deals directly with the public. Its the same thing for Teachers, Police Officers, Tech Support People (wait, they generally actually do suck), etc. Human nature remembers the people that suck and forget about people that do the job right. Thats the advantage of working with computers, while I might (well I do) [censored] up occassionally the people who it pisses off will never see my face and will never know who I am. And thats why computer programmers aren't bitched about constantly.

[ QUOTE ]
He did what was best for the table whether it was within his authority or not. He can deal my game anytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this though. Its the players game. If nobody said anything its not the dealers job to decide its in the best interest of the table to call the clock. But I generally have no sympathy for people that may want a clock called but aren't willing to do it yourself. The rules are pretty clear and each player has two options: 1) Call the clock if you feel its getting unreasonable, 2) Don't say anything and deal with the fact that the player is taking a long time.