Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Totally out of line in these two hands?

Hi.
I´m kind of new to the SnGs so I´ve been playing a few $1 MTT at Stars just trying to get a grip of the game. I try to just play the best hands in early levels and then loose up a bit later if the players are not to aggressive. I´ve played 7 of these so far placing myself 10-16-40-13-8-10-16.
Could you please check these 2 hands out and tell me if I was totally lost here or if my play was OK and I lost to bad luck.

1)
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t400 with t25 antes (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t11644)
UTG+1 (t9484)
MP1 (t17756)
MP2 (t5800)
CO (t12439)
Button (t5049)
SB (t858)
Hero (t4470)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls t400, UTG+1 calls t400, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t400, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero checks

Flop: (t2000) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t800</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t2000</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to t7600</font>, Hero calls t2045 (All-in)

Turn: (t14445) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t14445) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

UTG has been passive preflop and vey aggressive postflop in many hands. This time he held QQ!

2)
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t5140)
Hero (t3915)
MP1 (t2657)
CO (t3390)
Button (t2605)
SB (t12040)
BB (t6679)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls t200, <font color="red">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t700, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG folds</font>

Flop: (t2000) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t3115 (All-in)</font>, SB calls t3115

Turn: (t8230) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t8230) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

SB has been defending his blind almost every time so I thought: what the f**k. But he is the chipleader....and he was holding AJ.

Thanks for any reply
// M
Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Totally out of line in these two hands?

Bad luck. Your bet amounts could be better (you don't checkraise the flop enough in hand 1-- and actually you might consider leading out-- and you don't need to overbet all in in hand 2) but these are just tough beats.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and you don't need to overbet all in in hand 2) but these are just tough beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about betting the pot (2000) but that would only leave me a little more than 1000 for a turn bet which would have given him better odds to call, right?

// M
Old 03-22-2006, 10:31 AM

These aren't bad beats, but they are big hand runs into bigger hand.

I would probably push prefloip the first hand, although I don't mind seeing a flop with the big suited connector. Of course, in this case, you would have also busted out that way.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and you don't need to overbet all in in hand 2) but these are just tough beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about betting the pot (2000) but that would only leave me a little more than 1000 for a turn bet which would have given him better odds to call, right?

// M

[/ QUOTE ]

I woulda bet half the pot on the flop and pushed any turn if he flat-called, and called if he repushed the flop. Not a chance of folding on that flop with your hand in a $1 MTT even if he reraises my flop bet.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:21 PM

OK. Thanks for your replies.
// M
Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These aren't bad beats, but they are big hand runs into bigger hand.

I would probably push prefloip the first hand, although I don't mind seeing a flop with the big suited connector. Of course, in this case, you would have also busted out that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with pushing PF on hand 1. You have 11BBs, which doesn't necessarily merit a push yet, but with 3 limpers creating a nice enough pot, you can easily push this and drag a nice sized pot. Just so you, UTG (QQ) in hand 1 is an absolute idiot for how he played QQ PF.