Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Brian Griese to start next week

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) Henne has been a 4-year starter at Michigan and only didn't start when injured. He has NFL size and arm strength and is projected to be a high draft pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a 4 year starter doesn't really prove much imo. I could pull out a ton of names that started all 4 years at their respective colleges and still were pretty big busts at the NFL level or weren't even considered, etc. Arm strength, meh, doesn't really mean much I think. Obv means something, but I hope you get what I mean.

I think he was projected to be a high draft pick if he came out last year. Prolly this week as well, but I might consider betting you he won't go in the first round if you want. I doubt he's gonna be picked in the first round. They said the same about Drew Stanton, and he ended up in what round (I really don't know lol.) Chad Henne is gonna be 2nd round mid pick at best. I just don't believe he has what it takes to be good in the NFL, just my personal opinion and we'll see as time goes on I guess.

I'm sure I'll see Woodson play more esp with Kentucky's ranking and some of the matchups they have coming up.

Hawaii QB's always have beastly stats, but are never considered high. How exactly are they able to put up these sick numbers yet still not be considered atleast decent? Is it just because Hawaii's schedule is usually really easy, and hence they're able to put up these results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Citing Henne as a 4-year starter is not my justification for him being an NFL quarterback, but to refute your statement about how he was an inconsistent starter for UofM. I also disagree with you about arm strength. Obviously it's dumb for people to say "zomg Jamarcus Russell throws 55 yards on his knees let's draft him #1" but you're dense if you think a ragarm can succeed in the NFL. A lack of arm strength in a QB dramatically decreases the pass plays available to teams; try throwing a 15-yard out with Kyle Orton's arm, many times it's coming back for a score the other way.

As for Hawaii - their QBs are never given much credit for the same reason Texas Tech QBs aren't. They put up very gaudy passing numbers, but a) they throw 60 times a game (or half, if you're Brennan) and b) they usually put up these numbers against defenses who lack the speed and depth to cover a 4 or 5 receiver set each down. If you look at TT, they put up boss numbers against lesser Big 12 teams and usually end up getting buzzsawed by UT or Oklahoma, teams that have that aforementioned speed. Brennan is far from a garbage quarterback, but there are much better quarterbacks around with lesser stats just because they don't play in that same kind of offense.

As for Woodson, tune in this Thursday to watch the game against SC. Spurrier's boys play good pass defense; their D may be Woodson's biggest test yet. He's a great NFL prospect - 6'4, 230, and recently set the NCAA record for attempts without an INT at 325. Very accurate passer with a great arm.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but to refute your statement about how he was an inconsistent starter for UofM.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually meant this season. For Notre Dame's game, I heard that Henne was available, but the coach instead went with Mallett. Also, I heard the same thing with Penn State, where they went with Mallett instead of Henne. I maybe be wrong about 1 or both of these games so sorry if i am. Also, at Northwestern, I heard at a game break that Mallett came in for Henne in the middle of the game even when Henne wasn't injured.

Hence, I was just basing my assumption of Henne off of these games and not just pulling it out of my butt.

About the whole arm strength, like I said,

[ QUOTE ]
Arm strength, meh, doesn't really mean much I think. Obv means something, but I hope you get what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I meant was exactly what you said. So I didn't mean that it doesn't matter at all, but arm strength alone doesn't prove anything. I think we're both on the same page, but I just suck at expressing myself lol.

Also, if Woodson is as good as peeps say he is, I really hope the Dolphins will get him. We certainly have the record for him, but they'll prolly pass over him because they have John Beck. So gah, I guess.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) Henne has been a 4-year starter at Michigan and only didn't start when injured. He has NFL size and arm strength and is projected to be a high draft pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a 4 year starter doesn't really prove much imo. I could pull out a ton of names that started all 4 years at their respective colleges and still were pretty big busts at the NFL level or weren't even considered, etc. Arm strength, meh, doesn't really mean much I think. Obv means something, but I hope you get what I mean.

I think he was projected to be a high draft pick if he came out last year. Prolly this week as well, but I might consider betting you he won't go in the first round if you want. I doubt he's gonna be picked in the first round. They said the same about Drew Stanton, and he ended up in what round (I really don't know lol.) Chad Henne is gonna be 2nd round mid pick at best. I just don't believe he has what it takes to be good in the NFL, just my personal opinion and we'll see as time goes on I guess.

I'm sure I'll see Woodson play more esp with Kentucky's ranking and some of the matchups they have coming up.

Hawaii QB's always have beastly stats, but are never considered high. How exactly are they able to put up these sick numbers yet still not be considered atleast decent? Is it just because Hawaii's schedule is usually really easy, and hence they're able to put up these results?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't rate college QB's by experience, arm strength, size, scouts opinions or stats than what do you rate them on?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Devin Hester at QB...run the wildcat(hog) formation

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my thought exactly

[/ QUOTE ]

Just put the return team on offense and bring back the flying wedge.

(Note: may need to lobby the NFL first for some rules changes.)
Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Devin Hester at QB...run the wildcat(hog) formation

[/ QUOTE ]

i would love to see this

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be sweet to watch, but he'd set an NFL record for fumbles probably.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good Rex>Orton>Bad Rex>>Griese.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beth Orton >>> Bad Rex
Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eff this, I now hope the Bears go 3-13 or however bad they need to be to draft Woodson/Brohm/someone not named Chad Henne

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone always says this [censored]. Then they draft Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith AND have to deal with nice 5+ year culture of losing that gets started when you have a bunch of guys on your team who have lived through a 3-13 year.

The salary cap really renders the draft mostly moot. Which is really ironic because at the same time the draft has become almost the 2nd most popular sport in America. The #1 pic is such a make or break crapshoot. Whereas a good team can sign all their #1 pics and still have a ton of cap room.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good Rex>Orton>Bad Rex>>Griese.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beth Orton >>> Bad Rex

[/ QUOTE ]

Cowboy Bob Orton >>> Good Rex
Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 AM

Randy Orton on steroids > Good Rex > Randy Orton clean > Bad Rex
Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Randy Orton on steroids > Good Rex > Randy Orton clean > Bad Rex > Bad Randy Orton

[/ QUOTE ]