Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Tricky 99 hand against LAG

Villain is a bad Lag, not super aggro, but has been pretty active, capping QJo PF.

Bet turn/Bet river? Avoid betting the turn to save myself from a tough decision if he check-raises, and these LAGs love to screwplay.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB
Old 09-25-2007, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Tricky 99 hand against LAG

I'd prolly check the turn as well at the table. But think about it this way.

If he has an A then you very likely have a better fd than him as he would have 3-bet AT, AJ, AQ, AK preflop - prolly.

So even if he c/r you again it doesnt cost you that much.

If he has a flush draw then it sucks handing ou the free card unless he will bluff at the end UI.

So I think its a bet. Altho I would be tempted to check at the table as I have a thing with being sexied.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 AM

In a vacuum, I do not like betting the river here - it really does suck to have to play 99 like this though. But I would make a note on the line taken here to help me on future spots like this. In hindsight I think it was a bluff-raise on the flop - you are folding a hand like king high without a club here every time. Maybe you can 3-bet the flop.

EDIT: Final sentence!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Im all for betting the turn

fair enough he might check raise sometimes but I dont think that he will check raise so often that we should be afraid of it

As played I dont see any value in betting the river
Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 AM

I would never bet this turn since his line is too weird. If a LAG take this line it's very often a trap. I think I check river as well since I don't think we get much value from and if he was trying a sexy on turn he might try it again since he probably thinks you will fold to a donk.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a vacuum, I do not like betting the river here - it really does suck to have to play 99 like this though. But I would make a note on the line taken here to help me on future spots like this. In hindsight I think it was a bluff-raise on the flop - you are folding a hand like king high without a club here every time. Maybe you can 3-bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting flop sucks. You'll get capped often and if you bet turn UI you get c/r often so you must take a freecard, and that way you loose value when he bets air on turn.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3-betting flop sucks. You'll get capped often and if you bet turn UI you get c/r often so you must take a freecard, and that way you loose value when he bets air on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The opponent might fold to the reraise on the flop (or has this never ever happened to you in this type of situation?) and if you get check-raised on the turn you can fold. If you get capped on the flop, then a read helps. If we look at the line chosen in hindsight - the villain saw the river for free by simply check-raising us on a scary board. If the opponent had something that has no connection with the flop but can still beat us (smaller pair, overcards to our pair but no club), the check-raise worked brilliantly.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The opponent might fold to the reraise on the flop (or has this never ever happened to you in this type of situation?) and if you get check-raised on the turn you can fold. If you get capped on the flop, then a read helps. If we look at the line chosen in hindsight - the villain saw the river for free by simply check-raising us on a scary board. If the opponent had something that has no connection with the flop but can still beat us (smaller pair, overcards to our pair but no club), the check-raise worked brilliantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you 3-bet the flop and end up folding to a turn c/r or fold the turn when he caps the flop you suck at poker and its not up for debate.

DONT BLOAT THE POT ON DRAWY BOARDS WITH MARGINAL HOLDINGS AND THEN FOLD vs A TRICKY LAG.

Its not up for dicussion. Dont do it if you like money.

EDIT: hero has a flush draw. If he 3-bets flop and folds to a turn c/r he is an idiot.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The opponent might fold to the reraise on the flop (or has this never ever happened to you in this type of situation?) and if you get check-raised on the turn you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember one single time I've seen someone fold to a reraise on flop in a situation like this. And if you bet/fold turn with a FD and a pair you probably hate money and play poker just to get rid of them.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The opponent might fold to the reraise on the flop (or has this never ever happened to you in this type of situation?) and if you get check-raised on the turn you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember one single time I've seen someone fold to a reraise on flop in a situation like this. And if you bet/fold turn with a FD and a pair you probably hate money and play poker just to get rid of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if he should fold to a flop 3-bet he will have a hand that you didnt want to fold like 54 or air - no club.