Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Just read \"Winning Omaha8\" - Now what??

Hi.
I want to try out O8 so I read this bok, Winning Omaha8, by Tenner/Krieger. I think it was quite good as a book for noobs, but I have a few questions regarding preflop play:

1) If I use the guidelines of the Tenner starting hands, what hands can I call a preflop raise with (and from what positions)?

2) What hands should I raise with (and from what positions)?

3) At what site do you find the softest games? Since I´m new to this I will probably play 0,25/0,50 or 0,5/1 LO8.

Greateful for any input

// M
Old 04-16-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Just read \"Winning Omaha8\" - Now what??

Stars has the most games going usually for the limits you wish to play...other sites just dont have a lot of games running...gl...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 PM

If you're truly a o8 newb, go even lower with the stakes until you're comfortable. even at $1 limit it seems like you'll find bot-like players 4+ tabling. It isn't very interesting, and unless there are plenty of fish it's tough to beat the rake.

Also, if you like NL, consider .01/.02 or .02/.05 PLO8 instead. Play with sense until you figure out what works from you, start winning, and move up.

I don't see a lot of live-action limit o8 online these days.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 PM

I like the PLO8 suggestion - I am a big fan of Tenner/Kreigers books as its the only O8 book I have read and learned the rest at the tables. I pretty much read it and started playing live O8 and beat 3/6, then 5/10, followed by a mix of 10/20 and 15/30 limit

After that i move to PLO8 and thats where those tight starting hand reqs that they suggest really pay off, if your only playing the best hands you avoid some weird spots you can get into with sub premium hands. Over time it will get easier to figure things out as far as loosening up a bit but starting out playing really tight at micro limits all the way up to .5/1 blinds you should be fine, probably even higher than that in honesty
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 AM

first thing i'd reccomend is throwing it away.

then buy SSII and read baldwins section on O8.

much better info there.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 AM

Hi.
First I like to thank you guys for taking your time with this. Then I´ll move on to some new questions [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
first thing i'd reccomend is throwing it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I think this book was really easy to read and I everything was explained in an easy way (I´m from Sweden so english is not my first language). A few months ago I read "How to win at Omaha High-Low Poker" by Mike Cappelletti, and compared to the Tenner/Krieger book I think Cappelletti is a total mess! I will probably look in to the SSII, but please explain why you think I should throw the other one away.

You´re right about it´s hard to find limit games at the levels I will start at. Yesterday I played 1!! table of 0,25/0,50 at Stars, making a few bucks, and I don´t think I made any really big misstakes. Normally I´d play 3-4 tables of NL 6max, so it´s a difference.

Is there a big difference in playing NL Hold´em or PL Omaha besides the obvious? I mean pot odds, pot controll and such?

Where do I find the softest (bad players) PLO games to start with?

// M
Old 04-17-2007, 05:42 AM

I read some excerpts from Cappalettis book and it made me laugh. The guy has some terrible ideas.

Tenner/Krieger's book wastes too much time IMHO. They don't address enough common situations that occur in LO8. And in general I don't think the book leaves the reader with a philosophy/style from which the reader can build and adapt to. I think that the material they present is presented poorly and the book isn't organized in a good fashion. I kept thinking that they wanted to have their cake and eat it, too. The book doesn't go into many specifics, but I suppose if you've never played LO8, any information is decent.

SSII is straight forward and to the point. It gives you a foundation of ideas to weigh and consider, and it really gave me a lot of insight into the game. When you read SSII as a book, and then read the LO8 section, you can see how easily the game can be misplayed, and how easy it would be to convince yourself you were playing correctly when you weren't. It also mentions several things that steer your thought processes the correct way, i.e., "if a tight player limps and you raise with A-4-8-J offsuit, you should have your omaha license revoked". That quote always stuck with me, b/c of the extrapolations you can draw from it. The material is presented in a direct and concise manner and gives enough detail without overwhelming a reader, like some of 2p2's books can do.

Anyways, that's my two cents.