Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Professional No Limit Holdem Vol 1, Reviews

[ QUOTE ]
What about the times where you get a SPR of 4 or so then miss. Im sure betting is still what is going to be suggested in a later volume, but that sort of puts you near being committed. Hopefully this will be addressed in a later volume. All in all though, I have learned more from this book than I have from any other in the recent past.

[/ QUOTE ]

we ran out of room. Sunny wrote that discussion long before volume 1 was submitted, but it wouldn't fit. also, we will visit it again under c-betting, under bluffing, and under some other topics.

spr of 4 would not change your c-betting frequency much vs. high spr if you took initiative with AK preflop. don't commit normally.

in some games you would go all-in with AK there on occasion as part of line defense and balancing, or if you sensed weakness or expected to be against a weak range. you want fold equity in those situations / get low pairs out and so normally arrange to fire the last shot. sometimes, though, it works better to fire a big first shot.

opponent counters your c-bet by raise bluffing - interesting spot for a minraise whether he has it or not. the game just gets tough then.

sorry first session didn't get the monies.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Thanks a lot. I look forward to the next volume. Any idea when we can expect it?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Hi FieryJustice,

Thanks for the kind words, and good observations re: AK. We do make constant mention of the steal equity points throughout the book (in fact, even regarding specifically AK i.e. - page 208: "You will make top pair or better about 1 time in 3. The other times you may steal. If you can make money stealing, you sometimes want to get more money in preflop. We explain those exceptions in Making Adjustments starting on page 234."), but as Matt mentioned, we'll have much more to say about the whole topic in Volume Two.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-S
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 PM

I suppose my problem with it is that if you are stealing you cross your committment point or whatever it is called. Like if you to reraise with AK and get the SPR to 4, you generally have about 1/10th or so of your 100bb stack in. If you miss the flop, you have to bet another 15 or 20bbs, which would put basically 1/3 of your stack in. I think you guy ssaid that was bad but that could mean apply only if you have a made hand like tp. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I cant wait til volume 2.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

Well, you're right that a bet there would cross you over the Commitment Threshold, but remember (from the Exceptions on making bets when at the Threshold):

"You might make a large bet if you are bluffing or semibluffing." (page 152)
Old 07-21-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Any other requests? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think Ed looks like a young Garrison Keillor? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 03:27 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Is that Ed's photo from when he was pimped out on Queer eye for the Straight guy?
Old 07-21-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that Ed's photo from when he was pimped out on Queer eye for the Straight guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope..
Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if i start to wear glasses will it make me a better poker player?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hasn't helped me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eyeglasses, yes.

Sunglasses... are for those times you find yourself playing outside. You know, in the sun. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We know about the error. It's also on Sit 'n Go Strategies, and in addition, we reprinted at the same time Harrington: Volume I and Harrington: Volume II and believe the same error is also there.

We'll get it corrected when we reprint.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, that 2 + 2 has some wonderful editing. According to MM this egregious mistake is present in 4 different volumes (he believes). Attention fanboys, please come and tell me how stupid I am to ridicule this absolutely atrocious and laughable error, on the cover, no less, OF FOUR F-ING DIFFERENT BOOKS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares? Why would you care?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, question me and my motivations. Make me the focus, not the amateurish editing mistake I am simply pointing out. Exhibit B. Next?

ETA. You sound like freaking scientologists. "What are your crimes?"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pPol_m8wm8Y

"Why are you afraid of Sklansky?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about getting worked up over nothing...

[/ QUOTE ]

just wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pointed out by someone else. You even qouted their post originally. Glad you can take credit for it and then turn into a worthless nitpick!