Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Average SMP IQ.

Yeah, I went through two weeks or so of crazy studying before my quals, and that ended up being the year that the difficulty took a decided downturn - I honestly think I could have done well enough to pass straight out of undergrad. In one nice wrinkle, though, the department had been given some money a while before to give a prize each year in "classical physics." Lacking any sense for what they should do with this, they decided to give it each year to the highest scoring participant on the non-QM part of our quals. Ship the $1k; the keg for the party was on me.

(EDIT: Also, 24 hours? Jesus. Ours were eight over two days.)
Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two IQs I'd like to know:

Borodog: I'd put him at mid 130s.
Sklansky: Around the same.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I have always tested at 135-140 on various internet tests (which I admit I find enjoyable).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth noting that a lot of Internet tests cap at 130-140.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Had no idea. How do you know this?

Edit: This would explain a lot. When you get all of the questions correct, I had assumed that your score comes down to timing, i.e. your score goes up the less time it takes you to complete the test. I think that is probably true, but some of those tests I basically aced in what I would consider to be fairly short order, and still scored 140.

I would still like to know the source for this, as I wouldn't want you to artificially inflate my ego any more than it already is. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply by looking at lots of people's scores and noting that none of themn went above X number and an awful lot were at exactly that number. I even saw one that capped at like 127.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I went through two weeks or so of crazy studying before my quals, and that ended up being the year that the difficulty took a decided downturn - I honestly think I could have done well enough to pass straight out of undergrad. In one nice wrinkle, though, the department had been given some money a while before to give a prize each year in "classical physics." Lacking any sense for what they should do with this, they decided to give it each year to the highest scoring participant on the non-QM part of our quals. Ship the $1k; the keg for the party was on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice!

[ QUOTE ]
(EDIT: Also, 24 hours? Jesus. Ours were eight over two days.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You were the [censored] my school had to dumb down to compete with! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two IQs I'd like to know:

Borodog: I'd put him at mid 130s.
Sklansky: Around the same.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I have always tested at 135-140 on various internet tests (which I admit I find enjoyable).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's worth noting that a lot of Internet tests cap at 130-140.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Had no idea. How do you know this?

Edit: This would explain a lot. When you get all of the questions correct, I had assumed that your score comes down to timing, i.e. your score goes up the less time it takes you to complete the test. I think that is probably true, but some of those tests I basically aced in what I would consider to be fairly short order, and still scored 140.

I would still like to know the source for this, as I wouldn't want you to artificially inflate my ego any more than it already is. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply by looking at lots of people's scores and noting that none of themn went above X number and an awful lot were at exactly that number. I even saw one that capped at like 127.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. But being a bell curve, the number of people above 140 should be extremely small. That's almost 3 standard deviations away from the mean.

Ah, but I see by the wiki article that they admit that IQs much above ~130 cannot be accurately measured, because of a lack of enough very high difficulty questions. So that would explain why online tests might top out just above that.

Hence, I will assume my IQ to be the maximum. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think borodog has this figured out the best, IQ tests don't test anything finite, i think it is a far greater accomplishment to do well on a test that you have prepared greatly for and worked for than for some arbitrary measurement of an unknown quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure FEELS better.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:35 PM

Boro, any guess what RP's IQ range might be?

I think reducing his ideas to the format of the interviews he gets is an impressive skill in its own right. Any time I'm forced to argue about politics IRL I come away with a new found respect for how hard it actually must be.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:10 PM

No, I have no gut feeling for what range of IQ various people have. All I can say is that he is well above average.

Also, he has been having the same arguments and making the same speech for 35 years. That has to help. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM

I have a big problem with timed tests. IQ tests are suppose to strive to be objective. How does an IQ test writer objectively decide what is an appropriate amount of time for a question to be answered? They don't, they just put an arbitrary number in there and say "Answer it in ____ seconds because that's the standard that other tests have used". IQ tests are riddled with tons of problems like that.

That being said, every test I've taken has me in the 125-135 range. Never take those damn internet tests though. Like somebody else in this thread already pointed out, you can randomly pick answers and get an IQ over 120.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a big problem with timed tests. IQ tests are suppose to strive to be objective. How does an IQ test writer objectively decide what is an appropriate amount of time for a question to be answered? They don't, they just put an arbitrary number in there and say "Answer it in ____ seconds because that's the standard that other tests have used".

That being said, every test I've taken has me in the 125-135 range. Never take those damn internet tests though. Like somebody else in this thread already pointed out, you can randomly pick answers and get an IQ over 120.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesnt matter how long they give you, as long as everyone has the same amount of time its an objective test. You could use your same reasoning to demonstrate that no test could ever be objective because how do they arbitrarily decide which questions to include?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesnt matter how long they give you, as long as everyone has the same amount of time its an objective test. You could use your same reasoning to demonstrate that no test could ever be objective because how do they arbitrarily decide which questions to include?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is also another big problem with IQ tests. Generally I don't agree with them at all.

*EDIT* Even the Marshmallow Test at young ages is a bigger indicator of functional (success-oriented) intelligence.