Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Default advice before I meet with a personal trainer

I've used New York Sports Clubs for a while, mostly for their elliptical machines and some of their nautilus machines (which they label their Xpress line (meant for beginners). Because I recognize that the Xpress line machines aren't optimal, I scheduled a session with a trainer to show me the proper way to use free weights and suggest a lifting program. I am essentially a free weight newbie.

When I spoke to this guy briefly on the phone, he asked if I would be willing to try other machines they have, as a transition to free weights. I said sure, I'll try whatever he recommends, but now I wonder whether I should just go straight to free weights.

I can't find pictures of the machines, but the website here describes them as follows:

Secondary - less stable
pin-selected weight or plate-loaded weight
independent movement
unilateral converging
cables stable base
cables unstable base

All of this is supposedly distinct from the "primary" or more stable machines I have been using.

So my questions are:

(1) Should I insist on learning free weights first, or are these machines a reasonable transition?
(2) Regardless of the equipment I use, what exercises and movements should I make sure to learn?
(3) Anything else I should ask this guy?

Keep in mind that I assume that this guy has little advanced expertise, though perhaps I'm wrong about that. He didn't sound very impressive when we spoke briefly over the phone. I figure that so long as I learn the proper motions, I can always return here for advice (or links) about the actual routines I should use.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: advice before I meet with a personal trainer

Insist on using free weights.

Ask him to teach you how to squat, deadlift, bench-press, military-press and row. Make sure he's squatting deep (past parallel).

If he says no to any of these, laugh in his face and go to a real gym. Or hire an olympic powerlifting coach for a couple of sessions.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM

you could learn all of this stuff on your own and it would allow your workouts make more sense to you

at least don't hire him long term, hire him until you have an idea of what you're doing.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 PM

This is a weird exchange. You call him up expressly to find someone to check you off/teach you some free weight movements and he says, perfect!, I've got a special machine for folks like you.

edit to add: Maybe it isn't clear. I wouldn't give such a person my business.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 PM

I'm not planning on hiring him long-term. But I do think I need hands-on assistance in learning proper form.

Do these people have any training whatsoever, or are they merely people who appear reasonably fit and like to workout themselves?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:45 PM

they probably took a weekend certification course...although there are solid trainers out there that are well educated (rare)...make sure he does what you want (free weights) and if he cant then don't pay him...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:33 PM

wynton, im not sure why someone needs to transition to free weights. if one is having difficulty w/ the weight amt doing free weights, the solution is use less weight rather than change the exercise.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Yeah, Rootabager has the correct summary of each program NYSC pushes. I anticipate the trainer will push program 2, but in light of the replies here, I will instead ask for instruction on free weights (program 3).

If a "transition" really is unnecessary, then I'm guessing that these programs get pushed for business purposes. For example, maybe the trainer figures I'll purchase more sessions if I agree to a transitional stage before moving on (since presumably I'd have to get instruction on both separately).
Old 11-21-2007, 02:06 PM

i can only guess, but i would guess that machine based programs are pushed because the trainers aren't educated enough to properly instruct on free weight techniques and have no skill in proper program design...