Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

Yeah Burnout 3, MGS2, and Virtua Fighter 4 placed above Goldeneye...the more I use my common sense the more I realize this list kind of blows.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM

The fanbois talking about how call of duty four should be on this list are really effing dense.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fanbois talking about how call of duty four should be on this list are really effing dense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the comments are truly terrible to the point of hilarity, and are exactly why those of us at gamefaqs ironically look down on those at ign:

10.Spiderman(PS1)
9.Duke Nuckem 64
8.Duke Nuckem: Time to Kill
7.Star wars Battlefront II
6.Spider-an friend or Foe(PSP)
5.Spiderman the movie(PS2)
4.tar Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
3.Halo
2.Halo 2
1.Halo 3

Fanboy much?

Looking at their previous lists, just got to wonder what'll be third (after they continue their obvious SMB and OoT love-in)
Old 11-23-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean because it isn't even eligible?
Old 11-23-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FF7 is fine where it is - there are an awful lot of games in existence.

I think Goldeneye has been much higher on IGN's past lists. I finished it for the first time just a few weeks ago and it really does not hold up that well. I don't play a lot of FPS's, but from what I've seen, Half-Life 1-2 and Halo 1-2 are all better than Goldeneye, not to mention hybrids like the aforementioned Deus Ex. Even the original Doom is "better" from a historical perspective, and I'm sure it will be on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

...No. People were just about melting their consoles because they played Goldeneye non-stop. you finished GE a week ago? maybe that's why you dont understand how awesome it is.That game pretty much created multiplayer, it easily destroys both Half-Lifes and both Halos. Goldeneye was utterly amazing. Games are ultimately about fun factor and replayability and that's where Goldeneye owns. I know of plenty of people, right now, that still play Goldeneye on a regular basis. The game is simply a top 10 game of all-time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played it at the time also, plenty of multi-player. I just finished single-player recently, and that gives me more perspective than you, not less. There are at least 5 FPSs that are better so it's impossible for it to be in the top 10.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:51 PM

There are at least 50 FPS's better than Doom, doesn't mean it should be left off the list though.
[ QUOTE ]

Looking at their previous lists, just got to wonder what'll be third (after they continue their obvious SMB and OoT love-in)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out, both revolutionized gaming, etc. There's really not a whole lot of games that you could argue would be ahead. Maybe...Mario 64. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out, both revolutionized gaming, etc. There's really not a whole lot of games that you could argue would be ahead. Maybe...Mario 64. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina yes. But one of their criteria is "how well it stands up over the years", and SMB was rendered obsolete back when they released SMB3, the pinnacle of the genre
Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina yes. But one of their criteria is "how well it stands up over the years", and SMB was rendered obsolete back when they released SMB3, the pinnacle of the genre

[/ QUOTE ]
And Ocarina has been rendered obsolete by other games as well. But Super Mario Bros and Ocarina are both fun to play today. Doom on the other hand is practically unplayable by how far FPSs have come.

Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming? I could name dozens of games that had a bigger impact than Ocarina.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean because it isn't even eligible?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's and I agree with IGN not including recent games when doing a top 100 all time list. Replay factor is so important when determining a list like this. These are the type of people who's number one game of all time would change every single year to whichever game is hot right at that moment.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also what is the deal with people saying Ocarina revolutionized gaming? I could name dozens of games that had a bigger impact than Ocarina.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see that list...probably the first really huge 3D world in videogames. Took one of the most beloved series of all-time perfectly into 3D, (which at the time was a big concern of fans) the Z targeting locking the camera onto enemies so you didn't have to struggle to stay on them. Mario 64 was probably more revolutionary, but OOT took everything it did and innovated to make it a perfect experience.