Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Downswing Need Sanity Check from 2+2ers

Thank god I'm practicing bankroll management or I'd be busto. Don't laugh because I'm playing penny poker. I was at $40 and now I'm down to $22. This downswing has occurred over the last 1500-1700 hands (just about 2 weeks).

Villain is 49/20/1 over 100 hands in this particular session. I am 28/7.9/3.8 over 6,700 hands. For some background info, I am very aggressive on the button when it's folded around to me. I will typically raise with any two cards and put out a continuation bet at a passive table. However, the blinds at this table were defenders but passive postflop so I decided to limp with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Also, I got a read on villain where he raises with junk and limps or sometimes minraises with hands like AA-JJ. I had seen him play draws very aggressively and slow play a monster on a draw heavy board. Finally, he's one of those donks where if he catches any piece of the flop he will call down to the river. This is where I'm currently having issues. Villain plays 50% of his hands so do I assume he's got a weak hand or a draw? Do we really know where we stand in situations like this where villain plays 50% of his hands. It seems like anything falls within his range. How do we play against these types, do we tighten up and trap, or do we push marginal advantages?

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.01./$0.02.
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $0.73
Hero: $2.04
SB: $1.16
BB: $2.94

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($0.06, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.06</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $0.24</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

I decided to just call because I figured I have two pair and he might have AK-A8 or KJ-J9, or a flush draw. Should I have shoved? Like I said before this guy takes any piece of the flop to the river. But he plays his draws aggressively so I put him on a flush draw. His flop AF is 1.75 (turn and river AF get progressively smaller). I was debating shoving but I was a little gun shy because I had just gotten stacked at a different table, so I decided to call. Was this my big mistake?

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.54, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB is all-in $0.9</font>, Hero ???.

I ran the numbers on poker stove and it looks like I was quite a bit ahead of his range:

Board: Ac 8s Js
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 64.154% 63.59% 00.57% 86242 770.00 { Jh8h }
Hand 1: 35.846% 35.28% 00.57% 47848 770.00 { A2s+, KJs, QJs, J9s+, A5o+, KJo, QJo, J9o+ }

Comments/Criticism are VERY welcome

AC
Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Downswing Need Sanity Check from 2+2ers

lol at sample size

edit: reraise flop, too many draws allowed in if u flatcall
Old 10-01-2007, 10:39 PM

1700 hands downswing? Wow.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Do not ever open limp preflop. Especially four handed. This is just bad. Especially on the button. Raise here.

You flopped a monster! ZOMG! The board is drawy! 3bet, try to get all the money in on this flop!!

Turn is not a spade, doesn't really complete any draws, basically a blank! Get it in!!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Based on your read shove the flop..

General comments...Tighten up your spread between VP$IP and PFR%..With a PFR number of 8 I find it very very very hard to believe you are abusing the button in the fashion you say...OTOH If your are raising the button liberally your position play is horrible...Far to much limp calling and or calling raises...Limp calling is lighting money on fire...

I would suggest you post your stats(general and position stats) in the thread you seem to have some major leaks in your pre-flop and position play..
Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on your read shove the flop..

General comments...Tighten up your spread between VP$IP and PFR%..With a PFR number of 8 I find it very very very hard to believe you are abusing the button in the fashion you say...OTOH If your are raising the button liberally your position play is horrible...Far to much limp calling and or calling raises...Limp calling is lighting money on fire...

I would suggest you post your stats(general and position stats) in the thread you seem to have some major leaks in your pre-flop and position play..

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks KEW...Here you go...

General Stats over 6,740 hands
=================================
VP$IP: 28.13
VP$IP from SB: 40.91
PFR: 7.91
Flop AF: 4.19
Turn AF: 3.44
River AF: 2.86
Total AF: 3.77

Position Stats (Total Hands/VP$IP/ColdCall%/PFR
================================
Button: 1330/36.77/3.76/13.38
1 (Cutoff): 1217/26.29/2.05/7.31
2: 1017/25.27/0.20/7.96
3: 546/24.91/0.00/8.61
BB: 1327/12.13/0.00/4.60
SB: 1303/40.91/0.00/5.91 &lt;--- The VP$IP might be a leak???

Let me know if this is what you're looking for. How can I tell in PT if I'm limping and then calling a raise to much? I there a filter for this? Thanks in advance.

AC
Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 PM

We need to get the easiest issue out of the way first - you are limping in with too many hands preflop. Your VPIP is too high and your PFR too low. You need to learn to tighten up and raise with position. In your example hand, you should raise before the flop! You have great position with a limper in front of you. Position = Value.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:41 PM

Easy raise preflop, get it in on the flop. As played instacall turn everytime.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We need to get the easiest issue out of the way first - you are limping in with too many hands preflop. Your VPIP is too high and your PFR too low. You need to learn to tighten up and raise with position. In your example hand, you should raise before the flop! You have great position with a limper in front of you. Position = Value.

[/ QUOTE ]
A few questions...

1. My VPIP in general, or my VPIP from the button, or both are too high?
2. What is a good VPIP range for a good semi-loose aggressive player. I'm hearing between 20% - 25%
3. Should I be raising the button everytime it's folded to me no matter what two cards I have?

AC
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do not ever open limp preflop. Especially four handed. This is just bad. Especially on the button. Raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi mookboi,

Are you saying never limp in 6-max ever, or never limp from the CO and button? I love playing suited connectors and small pocket pairs (as we all do). I typically limp from early postion with them. Are you saying I should raise with these hands from EP instead of limp?

I find myself limping with suited connectors and small PPs from early postion and calling reasonable sized raises with them. As KEW pointed out, maybe this is a leak. That's why I'm posting again because I want to close some of these before it gets out of hand. Thanks in advance.

AC